Iceland's Lesbian Prime Minister to Retire
BY Trudy Ring
September 28 2012 2:35 PM ET
Iceland prime minister Johanna Sigurdardottir, the first out lesbian to head a national government, will retire from politics when the parliamentary term ends in April.
“There is a time for everything, also for my time in politics which has been long and eventful,” she said in a statement on the website for her party, the Social Democrats. “Now I believe it is time for others to take the baton that was passed to me following the crash. I have therefore decided to leave political life at the end of this term.”
“The crash” is a reference to the economic crisis of 2008, in which three of Iceland’s banks failed and its currency dropped greatly in value. The nation received a bailout from the International Monetary Fund.
Sigurdardottir became prime minister in 2009, making her the first woman to hold that position in Iceland and the first openly gay or lesbian head of a national government, on anything other than an interim basis, anywhere in the world. A former flight attendant and trade union official, she was elected to Parliament in 1978 and later served as Iceland’s minister for social affairs. She turns 70 next week.
As Sigurdardottir retires, Iceland’s elected officials are debating whether the nation should join the European Union and adopt the euro as its currency, Reuters reports. It’s unclear who will succeed her as leader of the Social Democrats.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd
- Op-ed: Pope Francis: One Year In, Door Slightly Ajar for LGBT People
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Parenting Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays? 47 min 35 sec ago
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist March 10 2014 7:44 PM
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! March 10 2014 6:22 PM