Poland's Lech Walesa Shocks Nation With Antigay Statements
BY Trudy Ring
March 03 2013 2:03 PM ET
Lech Walesa, Poland’s first democratic-era president and a legendary labor leader who has been lauded as a human rights activist, has made clear his support for human rights does not extend to gay people.
In a TV interview Friday, the former president and Nobel Peace Prize winner went on a homophobic rant, saying gay people should not play a prominent role in politics. Walesa said “that he believes gays have no right to sit on the front benches in Parliament and, if represented at all, should sit in the back, ‘and even behind a wall,’” the Associated Press reports.
“They have to know that they are a minority and must adjust to smaller things,” he told broadcaster TVN. “And not rise to the greatest heights, the greatest hours, the greatest provocations, spoiling things for the others and taking [what they want] from the majority. I don’t agree to this and I will never agree to it. … A minority should not impose itself on the majority.”
An anti–hate speech group today filed a complaint with prosecutors in Walesa’s hometown of Gdansk, saying he has promoted “propaganda of hate against a sexual minority.” Several politicians and journalists decried his words as well.
“His language was appalling,” said Jerzy Wenderlich, a deputy speaker of Parliament. “It was the statement of a troglodyte.” Read more here.
- Meet the 2013 Point Foundation Scholars
- Republican Wants Right to Fire LGBT Employees Who 'Work in a Tutu'
- PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine
- Sen. Lisa Murkowski Endorses Marriage Equality
- Op-ed: How Animated Shows Like Futurama Can Unite Us All
- WATCH: Trans Woman Attacked in Hollywood Hate Crime Speaks Out, Cops Offer Reward
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women WATCH: Hot Lesbians Don Cowboy Hats, Chaps and Spurs for Cowgirl Up 19 min 40 sec ago
- Pride PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine 35 min 10 sec ago
- World News Brazil Lawmakers Legalize 'Ex-Gay' Therapy 39 min 11 sec ago
- Sports Navratilova Blasts Russian Antigay Law 43 min 55 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Florida Group Aims to Build Marriage Equality Support 1 hour 34 min ago
- Women WATCH: The L Word's Kate Moennig in Ray Donovan Series Premiere 1 hour 38 min ago
- Crime Man Pleads Not Guilty to West Village Murder 1 hour 46 min ago