Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky'
BY Sunnivie Brydum
May 25 2013 12:35 PM ET
E.W. Jackson's history of antigay rhetoric just isn't going away, thanks to Mother Jones.
The Baptist Bishop nominated by the Virginia GOP as lieutenant governor, to join Republican gubernatorial hopeful Ken Cuccinelli, seems to be living up to concerns from Democrats and Republicans alike that his antigay, antichoice, Islamophobic views would isolate voters and potentially tank Virginia's GOP ticket.
Back in 2009, Jackson commemorated LGBT Pride month, and President Obama's declaration recognizing June as such, with this tweet:
The President has proclaimed June as Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender Pride Month. Well that just makes me feel ikky all over. Yuk!
— Bishop E W Jackson(@ewjsr) June 3, 2009
Jackson's outlandish homophobia might be funny, if it weren't so terrifying that this man is running for public office — for the second time, after a failed Senate bid in 2012.
Mother Jones has a comprehensive collection of Jackson's most egregious antigay tweets, including those where Jackson concludes that the "homosexual movement is a cancer attacking vital organ of faith, family, & military — repositories of traditional values."
Mother Jones also notes that Jackson has referred to Obama as "the first homosexual president," and the "first Muslim President." Jackson, who graduated from Harvard Divinity School, did recognize the contradiction between those statements, but didn't appear to believe it weakened his argument.
"It will be interesting to see how Obama reconciles Islamicizing America with homosexualizing America," he tweeted in October 2009.
Find more of Jackson's absurdity here.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- Op-ed: Pope Francis: One Year In, Door Slightly Ajar for LGBT People
- South Carolina Soccer Team Signs Gay Player Anton Hysén
- Print Issue The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender 1 hour 32 min ago
- Current Issue Editor’s Letter: April/May Issue 2 hours 32 min ago
- Parenting Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays? 4:00 AM
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM