Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky'
BY Sunnivie Brydum
May 25 2013 11:35 AM ET
E.W. Jackson's history of antigay rhetoric just isn't going away, thanks to Mother Jones.
The Baptist Bishop nominated by the Virginia GOP as lieutenant governor, to join Republican gubernatorial hopeful Ken Cuccinelli, seems to be living up to concerns from Democrats and Republicans alike that his antigay, antichoice, Islamophobic views would isolate voters and potentially tank Virginia's GOP ticket.
Back in 2009, Jackson commemorated LGBT Pride month, and President Obama's declaration recognizing June as such, with this tweet:
The President has proclaimed June as Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender Pride Month. Well that just makes me feel ikky all over. Yuk!
— Bishop E W Jackson(@ewjsr) June 3, 2009
Jackson's outlandish homophobia might be funny, if it weren't so terrifying that this man is running for public office — for the second time, after a failed Senate bid in 2012.
Mother Jones has a comprehensive collection of Jackson's most egregious antigay tweets, including those where Jackson concludes that the "homosexual movement is a cancer attacking vital organ of faith, family, & military — repositories of traditional values."
Mother Jones also notes that Jackson has referred to Obama as "the first homosexual president," and the "first Muslim President." Jackson, who graduated from Harvard Divinity School, did recognize the contradiction between those statements, but didn't appear to believe it weakened his argument.
"It will be interesting to see how Obama reconciles Islamicizing America with homosexualizing America," he tweeted in October 2009.
Find more of Jackson's absurdity here.
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero?
- PHOTOS: Cyndi Lauper and Friends Work to Bring LGBT Homeless Youth Home for the Holidays
- Gay Man Allegedly Assaulted by Hasidic Gang in New York
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics December 10 2013 6:11 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes December 10 2013 5:56 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn December 10 2013 5:38 PM