New Jersey Moves One Step Closer to Banning 'Ex-Gay' Therapy
BY Sunnivie Brydum
June 14 2013 6:56 PM ET
The New Jersey Assembly Women and Children Committee unanimously approved legislation Thursday that would ban licensed therapists from practicing scientifically discredited, so-called conversion therapy that aims to change a person's sexual orientation from gay to straight, reports New Jersey paper The Record.
The bill, modeled after California's landmark legislation passed last year, would outlaw "sexual-orientation change efforts," also known as "reparative therapy," by licensed professionals on minors under 18 years old, forbidding psychiatrists, social workers, and other licensed mental health providers from engaging in attempts to "pray away the gay." The "therapy" has been condemned by every major mental health organization in the country, with the American Psychological Association calling the practice harmful.
"Studies and personal testimony have shown this practice creates irreparable harm on young people struggling to come to terms with their sexuality,” said Democratic assemblyman Tim Eustace, one of the bill's sponsors.
The legislation passed a Senate committee in March, and now awaits a vote by the full Assembly and Senate. Gov. Chris Christie, a Republican, has said he does not have enough information about the practice to determine whether he would approve such legislation if it reached his desk.
- This Is How Every Parent Should Respond After Their 13-Year-Old Comes Out
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- After Elimination: Vivacious of RuPaul's Drag Race Season 6
- Throwback Thursday: Richard Simmons Gets Inappropriate on Whose Line Is It Anyway?
- Op-ed: NOM Can’t Shut Me Down
- WATCH: Married British Same-Sex Couples Are Now Legal
- Travel Destination of the Week: Denmark March 13 2014 7:41 PM
- Women WATCH: Daughter Teaches Mom Lesbian Slang March 13 2014 7:27 PM
- Women What do the OINTB Season 2 Promo Pics Mean for the Ladies of Litchfield? March 13 2014 7:14 PM
- Women BREAKING: Father of Murdered Texas Lesbian Arrested March 13 2014 6:34 PM
- Travel Directors, Reality Housewives and the Sad Story of WeHo's 'Death Corner' March 13 2014 5:33 PM
- Politics Michigan's First Out Federal Judge Confirmed March 13 2014 4:34 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Model Andrej Pejic Shouts: 'I'm a Boy and I'm a Girl!' March 13 2014 4:25 PM