Senate Committee Sets Date for ENDA Vote
BY Jase Peeples
July 02 2013 12:04 PM ET
Hot on the heels of the Supreme Court’s landmark decisions on marriage equality, a Senate committee will hold a vote July 10 on the Employment Non-Discrimination Act, reports the Washington Blade.
The date set for the vote by the Senate Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions Committee is exactly two weeks after the court ruled against both Proposition 8 and a key section of the Defense of Marriage Act.
ENDA, which would ban workplace discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity, is expected to easily obtain committee approval, as all 12 Democrats on the Senate panel are cosponsors of the legislation, and Republican senator Mark Kirk of Illinois is as well.
However, the way Republican committee member Lisa Murkowski of Alaska will vote on ENDA is still unclear. Nevertheless, she changed her position to support marriage equality one week before the Supreme Court rulings, becoming the third sitting Republican U.S. senator to do so, and has voted in favor of pro-LGBT measures in the past, including hate-crimes legislation and the repeal of “don’t ask, don’t tell.”
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- One Day in Big Gaylarious America
- Defending Anti-LGBT Laws, Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance'
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- Game of Thrones Video Game Announced
- Marriage Equality Australia Re-Bans Same-Sex Marriage 59 sec ago
- Entertainment News Damien Lewis vs. Ian McKellen: Homeland Actor Apologizes 3 min 34 sec ago
- Politics WATCH: Right-Wing 'Documentary' Tries to Defend 'Ex-Gay' Therapy 11 min 42 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Ellen Will Tell You if She and Portia Are Getting Divorced! 1 hour 30 min ago
- Media Game of Thrones Video Game Announced 1 hour 36 min ago
- World News Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance' 1 hour 42 min ago
- Travel PHOTOS: Whet Your Appetite for Gay Polo's Biggest Event 1 hour 43 min ago