Pro-Equality Democrat Enters Georgia Senate Race
BY Jase Peeples
July 24 2013 10:54 AM ET
Michelle Nunn has officially declared herself a Democratic candidate in the 2014 race for U.S. Senate as of Tuesday, reports the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
“I’m excited about it," Nunn told the AJC. "I’ve learned that you can’t wait for somebody else to do it. Everybody has an individual role and a responsibility to contribute where they can. This seems like a way for me to contribute.”
The 46-year-old candidate believesshe can to appeal to the political center, and accomplish tasks across party lines that will help her win the election. “Part of what I bring to the table, and what Georgians are eager for, is coming together. They’re tired of the partisanship, tired of what feels like political infighting versus actually trying to accomplish things,” Nunn told the AJC. “I’ve had the chance to work with President George H.W. Bush. I sat on a council on volunteerism for George W. Bush. I believe in showing respect for our presidents across party lines. I think we do a disservice when we’re not willing to do that.”
Nunn also began to outline her stance on several hot-button issues, including marriage equality. While she personally favors marriage equality, Nunn says she agrees with the U.S. Supreme Court’s decision which left the definition of marriage to individual states. “I also believe that marriage is not only a legal construct, but a sacrament, and every religious institution has to be able to define it for themselves,” she said.
Though Nunn says she is prepared for the onslaught of her GOP contenders, she intends to focus on building up her own platform rather than tearing others down. “Our opportunity is to define ourselves,” she said. “I think people are really tired of the mudslinging and the silliness of this.”
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey 1 hour 34 min ago
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Love Starts With Acceptance 1 hour 34 min ago
- Year in Review 11 Great New Tech Gifts 1 hour 35 min ago
- Women WATCH: Lesbians Explain How Lesbians Have Sex - with Visual Aids! December 05 2013 7:57 PM
- Travel Why Travelers Love Palm Springs Airport December 05 2013 7:33 PM
- Travel Turkish Bazaar Opening on Vegas Strip December 05 2013 7:12 PM
- Women WATCH: Nurse: 3D is the Epic Lesbian Exploitation Hospital Thriller of the Year! December 05 2013 6:54 PM