WATCH: Harvey Fierstein, Dan Savage Equate Russia to 1933 Nazi Germany
BY Sunnivie Brydum
August 15 2013 12:23 PM ET
Actor, Tony-winning playwright, and activist Harvey Fierstein was characteristically animated when he spoke with Hayes and condemned an All In segment that aired earlier this week that he felt dismissed the proposed boycotts of both the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia, and Dan Savage's call to boycott Russian-made vodka.
Calling the national ban on so-called homosexual propaganda and Russia's refusal to allow gay, lesbian, or single foreigners to adopt Russian orphans "absolutely frightening," Fierstein compared President Vladimir Putin's anti-LGBT laws to Nazi Germany.
"It’s time for us to put our foot down and say we will not be the scapegoat of the world any longer,” Fierstein said. "The gay community has, in our history, been attacked in every way you can attack a group. There’s nothing that the human race has thought of to tear down other people that hasn’t been used on us. Thankfully we have, over the centuries, over the decades, and over the last few years made some great strides where people realize we’re just human beings, we are your family, we’re not a strange group from somewhere else. We belong in your family, we’re teachers, parents, children."
Watch Fierstein's appearance below.
Click to the following page to watch Dan Savage argue that his "Dump Russian Vodka" campaign is working and clarify his own comparison of Russia's anti-LGBT climate to the anti-Semitic climate in Adolf Hitler's Germany in 1933.
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback
- Redbox Picks Up Bridegroom Despite Rule Against Documentaries
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? 25 min 23 sec ago
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album 1 hour 26 min ago
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS 1 hour 30 min ago
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback 4:10 PM
- Politics Gay Former Republican Congressman Condemns Interparty Discrimination 3:07 PM
- World News Putin Tightens Grip on Kremlin-Run News Agencies 3:02 PM
- Film Redbox Picks Up Bridegroom Despite Rule Against Documentaries 2:53 PM