WATCH: Harvey Fierstein, Dan Savage Equate Russia to 1933 Nazi Germany
BY Sunnivie Brydum
August 15 2013 1:23 PM ET
Actor, Tony-winning playwright, and activist Harvey Fierstein was characteristically animated when he spoke with Hayes and condemned an All In segment that aired earlier this week that he felt dismissed the proposed boycotts of both the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia, and Dan Savage's call to boycott Russian-made vodka.
Calling the national ban on so-called homosexual propaganda and Russia's refusal to allow gay, lesbian, or single foreigners to adopt Russian orphans "absolutely frightening," Fierstein compared President Vladimir Putin's anti-LGBT laws to Nazi Germany.
"It’s time for us to put our foot down and say we will not be the scapegoat of the world any longer,” Fierstein said. "The gay community has, in our history, been attacked in every way you can attack a group. There’s nothing that the human race has thought of to tear down other people that hasn’t been used on us. Thankfully we have, over the centuries, over the decades, and over the last few years made some great strides where people realize we’re just human beings, we are your family, we’re not a strange group from somewhere else. We belong in your family, we’re teachers, parents, children."
Watch Fierstein's appearance below.
Click to the following page to watch Dan Savage argue that his "Dump Russian Vodka" campaign is working and clarify his own comparison of Russia's anti-LGBT climate to the anti-Semitic climate in Adolf Hitler's Germany in 1933.
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books March 09 2014 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah March 09 2014 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions March 09 2014 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open March 09 2014 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play March 09 2014 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' March 09 2014 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM