Nigerian Researcher: Magnetism Proves Same-Sex Marriage Unnatural
BY Trudy Ring
September 15 2013 8:11 PM ET
A postgraduate student at the University of Lagos in Nigeria claims his experiments with magnetism prove same-sex marriage is wrong.
“When you bring a North Pole of a magnet and a South Pole of a magnet they will attract because they are not the same, indicating that a man will attract a woman because of the way nature has made a female,” Chibuihem Amalaha told the Nigerian news website This Day Live. He added, “Man cannot attract another man because they are the same, and a woman should not attract a woman because they are the same. That is how I used physics to prove gay marriage wrong.”
His work is being lauded by certain fellow Nigerians, with one of his teachers saying he should be considered for a Nobel Prize, but many activists pointed out that it is unscientific and potentially dangerous, reports U.K. site Pink News.
“It’s debatable as to whether the embarrassing article is more damming [sic] of the standard of education at the University of Lagos or of the standard of journalism at This Day,” said Luiz DeBarros of South African LGBT website MambaOnline, according to Pink News. “The uncritical and uninformed article is likely to add to the ignorance and prejudice surrounding homosexuality in Nigeria.”
Nigeria is one of the least friendly countries in the world for LGBT people; a Pew Research Center study, published in June, rated it at the bottom for LGBT acceptance. Its parliament has passed legislation that would make same-sex marriage punishable with jail terms, but President Goodluck Jonathan has yet to sign it into law.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- New York Officials Demand Olympic Sponsors Take Action
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- WATCH: The Best From 6 Olympic Gay Divers
- Women WATCH: Lesbians Explain How Lesbians Have Sex - with Visual Aids! December 05 2013 7:57 PM
- Travel Why Travelers Love Palm Springs Airport December 05 2013 7:33 PM
- Travel Turkish Bazaar Opening on Vegas Strip December 05 2013 7:12 PM
- Women WATCH: Nurse: 3D is the Epic Lesbian Exploitation Hospital Thriller of the Year! December 05 2013 6:54 PM
- No More Bullying WATCH: It Gets Better Speaks to Russian LGBT Youth December 05 2013 6:33 PM
- World News LGBT Rights Are 'Essential Part' of U.S. Foreign Policy, Says Susan Rice December 05 2013 6:15 PM
- Marriage Equality Judge Expected to Rule on Utah Marriage Ban Early Next Year December 05 2013 6:00 PM