Russia's Olympics Statement Mentions 'Inclusion'; Will It Help?
BY Trudy Ring
September 15 2013 12:25 PM ET
Russian officials have agreed to alter a symbolic statement called the Olympic Truce in an effort to address the controversies surrounding its hosting of next year’s Winter Games, but it may do little to assuage concerns about the nation’s antigay climate and policies.
Russia’s rough draft of the statement had “mentioned a promise to include ‘people of different age, sex, physical capacity, religion, race and social status,’” but did not include LGBT people, The New York Times reports. This week, after extensive negotiations with United Nations representatives from several countries, Russia agreed to language saying “that it would ‘promote social inclusion without discrimination of any kind,’” according to the Times. The U.N. will vote on the truce in the next few weeks.
Previous truce statements had not mentioned LGBT people either, but there were special concerns about Russia because of its recently passed law banning so-called gay propaganda and numerous incidents of violence against LGBT people in the country.
Several U.N. diplomats praised the result; Greece’s Iakovos Iakovidis, for one, called it “a very good outcome.” But, as the Times notes, “the resolution is a good-will gesture that carries little weight in the real world.”
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- Bisexual Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too 1 hour 6 min ago
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action December 04 2013 8:27 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? December 04 2013 7:42 PM
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season December 04 2013 7:41 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity December 04 2013 7:25 PM
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional December 04 2013 4:50 PM
- Women 13 Reasons to Let AHS: Coven Cast A Spell on You -- in GIFs December 04 2013 4:36 PM