Supreme Court Dismisses Ken Cuccinelli’s Sodomy Law Appeal
BY Jase Peeples
October 08 2013 6:01 PM ET
Conservative Virginia attorney general Ken Cuccinelli experienced another setback for his campaign to become the state’s governor when the U.S. Supreme Court announced Monday that it would not hear his appeal to restore Virginia’s anti-sodomy law, reports Think Progress.
Cuccinelli had made the issue a central part of his campaign, falsely claiming Virginia’s Crimes Against Nature law — which made it a felony for even married couples to have consensual oral or anal sex in their homes — now applied only to people who preyed on children.
Despite Cuccinelli’s homophobic fearmongering, the Supreme Court announced Monday, its first day back in session, that it would not consider Cuccinelli’s appeal to reinstate the law. In 2003, the court ruled in Lawrence v. Texas that sodomy bans such as Virginia’s are unconstitutional.
The smackdown is the latest in a string of disappointments for Cuccinelli. These have included defeats of his challenge to the Affordable Care Act and his attempt to block the regulation of greenhouse gases.
The downward spiral of Cuccinelli’s campaign has been so severe, Rachel Maddow dedicated several minutes of her program Monday night to point out why ultraconservative candidates may want to reconsider their campaign strategy.
- Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia
- Artist Spotlight: Hernan Marina
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- Hot Sheet: A New Quiver
- Game Developers Conference Tackles LGBT Representation in Video Games
- WATCH: Rachel Maddow Blasts Critics of Obama's Funny or Die Interview
- Travel WATCH: Planes Battle Birmingham, England's Tail Winds 40 min 20 sec ago
- Religion Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia 2 hours 9 min ago
- Television WATCH: Out Rapper Le1f on Letterman 2:59 PM
- People WATCH: The Strong Bond Between Straight Women and Gay Men 2:52 PM
- Transgender Trans Contestant is Miss Congeniality at Calif. Beauty Pageant 11:57 AM
- Theater Injury Sidelines Christopher Sieber in Matilda 5:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Hernan Marina 4:00 AM