Michele Bachmann Excludes LGBT Parents From Adoption Resolution
BY Daniel Reynolds
November 22 2013 3:40 PM ET
Michele Bachmann has refused to include language that supports LGBT parenting in an adoption resolution that she is introducing.
The office of the Minnesota congresswoman rejected a request from Sean Patrick Maloney, a New York representative and a gay parent, to “to recognize the contributions of LGBT families with adoptive children” in the impending resolution, which will coincide with National Adoption Month and Day. Maloney revealed the rejection in an email to supporters.
“The resolution honoring National Adoption Month is a bipartisan effort sponsored by both Democrats and Republicans,” Dan Kotman, a spokesman for Bachmann told BuzzFeed. “The focus of the resolution is on helping vulnerable children, as has always been the case when we have introduced it in previous years.”
Rep. Karen Bass, a Democrat who is introducing the resolution with Bachmann, reportedly did not object to the language.
In his letter to Bachmann, Maloney cites to a statistic that estimates 20,000 adopted children are being raised by same-sex couples. In addition, more than 2 million LGBT people are prevented from adopting due to discriminatory laws.
Read the full text of Maloney’s letter on the following page.
- LGBT Exclusion Costs St. Paddy's Parades
- WATCH: First Gay Hug Parodies First Kiss Viral Video
- Fred Phelps Ex-Communicated and Near Death?
- A Brief History of Gays And The St. Patrick's Day Parade
- Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia
- Boston Mayor Snubs Homophobic St. Patrick's Day Parade
- Commentary Op-ed: The Policies Keeping Trans People From Military Service 6:00 AM
- Politics A Brief History of Gays And The St. Patrick's Day Parade 3:00 AM
- Love and Sex WATCH: First Gay Hug Parodies First Kiss Viral Video 2:19 AM
- Religion LGBT Exclusion Costs St. Paddy's Parades 2:10 AM
- Military Boston Mayor Snubs Homophobic St. Patrick's Day Parade March 16 2014 5:34 PM
- Religion Fred Phelps Ex-Communicated and Near Death? March 16 2014 1:41 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Madonna... in Game of Thrones? March 16 2014 1:12 PM