PHOTOS: The Entire World Shows Its Pride With IDAHOT
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 19 2014 2:20 PM ET
In new ways and protests, the world came together on Saturday to mark the International Day Against Homophobia and Transphobia, an annual event aimed at raising visibility and standing together for LGBT equality. One simple but powerful gesture out of Costa Rica gained the most headlines internationally as the country's new president, Luis Guillermo Solís, raised a pride flag above his residence. Here are in photos are a few of the other moments.
Same-sex couples demonstrate on the eve of the International Day Against Homophobia and Transphobia, a woldwide celebration of sexual and gender diversities, at the Plaza de Armas square in Asuncion on Friday.
Activists release balloons as they take part in a flash mob devoted IDAHOT in St. Petersburg on Saturday.
A couple kisses as they take part in the flash mob in St. Petersburg.
- WATCH: Laverne Cox Caught in Middle of Screaming Match on The View
- Supreme Court Rebuffs Florida — Marriages to Begin January 6
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment
- WATCH: Partner of Sydney Siege Hero Remembers His 'Soulmate'
- Emily Blunt: 'I Want to Be a Gay Icon'