BY Advocate Contributors
July 30 2010 4:40 PM ET
COMMENTARY: If you’ve seen even one episode of the Real World: Back to New Orleans, you probably know that Ryan Leslie and I have been entrenched in a battle that can only be described as guerilla warfare: He rubbed my cigarettes on his hairy posterior; I retaliated by urinating on his $120 toothbrush — not my finest moment, but when you’re thrown into a house full of strangers, well, anything goes, I guess.
To some extent, I initially sympathized with Ryan; honestly, what straight man wants to constantly be called gay? Yes, he styles hair and claims to be a clothing designer. When taken at face value, this makes him gay — at least in the realm of mainstream consciousness and what a large part of society thinks due to long-standing generalizations. Of course, the equal rights movement has made huge strides in the past few decades, but when it comes down to stereotyping and gender roles, those are still alive and well in many places.
But my sympathy was squashed because, despite efforts to connect with and understand the kid, Ryan’s behavior was and remains not only disgusting, but pretty damn hurtful.
My former roommate’s latest bout of homophobia came in the form of a tweet. And this time it wasn’t directed at me, but at a Twitter user, Aurosan, the blogger behind Oh No They Didn’t. It read: “Aurosan, I would love to see you in person and smash you gay f* face in.”
What’s depressingly infuriating is that Ryan believes this to be acceptable behavior, and justified it with yet another Tweet that read: “I’m not homophobic!! And even if I were I would be aloud to be! So chill out.” Though it’s hard to look past his atrocious spelling and grammatical handicap, the point remains that this kid is hateful and disrespectful.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good As Dead, Say Advocates
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Marriage Equality Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says 20 min 48 sec ago
- Women Op-Ed: Case of Lesbian Teen Kaitlyn Hunt Raises Questions About Sexual Double Standard 33 min 21 sec ago
- Music WATCH: Is This the Worst Music Video Ever? 46 min 59 sec ago
- Transgender Jesse Tyler Ferguson Slams His Former Catholic School's Transphobic Graduation Policy 47 min 4 sec ago
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame 48 min 30 sec ago
- Politics Democratic 'Betrayal' Leaves Binational LGBT Families Stranded 59 min 52 sec ago
- Travel Peace Corps Opens to Same-Sex Couples 1 hour 15 min ago