The Powerful Ricketts Family Is Obviously Split Politically
BY Lucas Grindley
May 17 2012 7:27 PM ET
Joe Ricketts and his lesbian daughter Laura Ricketts are on very different sides politically, as shown by an ad campaign that was reportedly in the works to take down President Obama.
The New York Times reported today that the "Ricketts Plan" would spend millions in super PAC money to "do exactly what John McCain would not let us do," according to the strategy's author. And that included an elaborate scheme to dredge up things Rev. Jeremiah Wright had said and connect them to Obama. The goal was to help Americans "hate this president." The financier of the whole thing was supposedly Joe Ricketts, a billionaire who made his fortune as founder of TD Ameritrade.
Meanwhile, Laura Ricketts is on The Advocate's list of "Power Gays" who are Obama bundlers. The CEO of Ecotravel.com and co-owner of the Chicago Cubs (along with her father and other relatives) has already raised a figure somewhere in the hundreds of thousands for the president's reelection.
An uproar about the "Ricketts Plan" had Brian Baker, a spokesman for Joe Ricketts, shooting down the entire Times story (in which he is quoted) by the end of the day.
"Joe Ricketts is a registered independent, a fiscal conservative, and an outspoken critic of the Obama Administration, but he is neither the author nor the funder of the so-called 'Ricketts Plan' to defeat Mr. Obama," Brian Baker said in a statement reported by Politico. Baker said the strategy was "merely a proposal" and "it reflects an approach to politics that Mr. Ricketts rejects."
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- 13 Classic Companies Top HRC's New Corporate Equality Index
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- WATCH: The Best (and Not So Best) of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback
- Music WATCH: The Best (and Not So Best) of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music 1 hour 25 min ago
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke December 09 2013 8:01 PM
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square December 09 2013 7:52 PM
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? December 09 2013 7:09 PM
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album December 09 2013 6:08 PM
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS December 09 2013 6:04 PM
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback December 09 2013 4:10 PM