The Powerful Ricketts Family Is Obviously Split Politically
BY Lucas Grindley
May 17 2012 8:27 PM ET
Joe Ricketts and his lesbian daughter Laura Ricketts are on very different sides politically, as shown by an ad campaign that was reportedly in the works to take down President Obama.
The New York Times reported today that the "Ricketts Plan" would spend millions in super PAC money to "do exactly what John McCain would not let us do," according to the strategy's author. And that included an elaborate scheme to dredge up things Rev. Jeremiah Wright had said and connect them to Obama. The goal was to help Americans "hate this president." The financier of the whole thing was supposedly Joe Ricketts, a billionaire who made his fortune as founder of TD Ameritrade.
Meanwhile, Laura Ricketts is on The Advocate's list of "Power Gays" who are Obama bundlers. The CEO of Ecotravel.com and co-owner of the Chicago Cubs (along with her father and other relatives) has already raised a figure somewhere in the hundreds of thousands for the president's reelection.
An uproar about the "Ricketts Plan" had Brian Baker, a spokesman for Joe Ricketts, shooting down the entire Times story (in which he is quoted) by the end of the day.
"Joe Ricketts is a registered independent, a fiscal conservative, and an outspoken critic of the Obama Administration, but he is neither the author nor the funder of the so-called 'Ricketts Plan' to defeat Mr. Obama," Brian Baker said in a statement reported by Politico. Baker said the strategy was "merely a proposal" and "it reflects an approach to politics that Mr. Ricketts rejects."
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples
- WATCH: Transgender Woman Arrested for Exposing Breasts, Jailed With Men
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Sports Water Polo Player Addresses WeHo City Council in Speedo May 22 2013 10:00 PM
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper May 22 2013 9:00 PM
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? May 22 2013 8:15 PM
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship May 22 2013 7:03 PM
- Military Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy May 22 2013 7:01 PM
- Internet WATCH: The First AIDS Generation in Giant Town Hall May 22 2013 6:16 PM
- Politics Joe Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Marriage Equality May 22 2013 6:09 PM