Lesbian Named Part Owner of Cubs
BY Michelle Garcia
November 02 2009 12:25 PM ET
In the sale of the Chicago Cubs franchise for $845 million last week, Major League Baseball gained its first openly gay team owner in Laura Ricketts, a member of the highest bidder's family.
Laura Ricketts and her three siblings, Pete, Tom, and Todd, will control the team as its board of directors. They will act alongside former owner Tribune Co., which will retain a 5% stake in the ball club. The acquisition includes the team, Wrigley Field, and 25% of Comcast Sportsnet, which broadcasts many of the Cubs games, according to the Associated Press.
Laura Ricketts, who is the CEO of Eco Travel LLC, is also on the board of gay rights organization Lambda Legal, the Windy City Times reports. She came out to her family in her 30s.
"I think for a long time I wasn't really out to myself growing up in Omaha, Neb., to a Catholic conservative family," Ricketts told MarketToMarketLLC.com. "It took me a while to come out to myself and not long after that I came out to them. I think that it really couldn't of been a better experience. They were all immediately supportive. ... I have been really really fortunate in that regard."
- Women WATCH: A Tux-Clad Ellen DeGeneres Dances in the Streets for 1st Oscars Promo! 43 min 15 sec ago
- Television The Top 10 Greatest Gay Holiday Cartoons 55 min 16 sec ago
- Media Duck Dynasty May Be Over After Antigay Tirade UPDATED: 1 hour 5 min ago
- World News Uganda Passes Anti-Homosexuality Bill 1 hour 35 min ago
- Books Was Norman Rockwell Gay? 2 hours 51 min ago
- Year in Review Fab or Fail? 2013's Cultural Ups and Downs 10:13 AM
- Holiday Gifts for Everyone 27 Awesome Gifts for Entertainment Buffs 4:00 AM