Campaign Worker for Rep. Cicilline's Opponent Compares Gay Congressman to Sandusky
BY Michelle Garcia
August 28 2012 5:34 PM ET
An unpaid campaign worker for congressional candidate Anthony Gemma has been asked to step down after making a remark comparing Gemma's opponent, gay representative David Cicilline, to convicted child molester and former Penn State coach Jerry Sandusky.
The Rhode Island Democratic Party asked Anthony Sionni to apologize to Cicilline. Sionni's comment originated on Twitter, where he replied to state party spokesman Bill Fischer, who said Gemma was smearing fellow Democrat Cicilline. Sionni countered that there was "nothing wrong with smearing a liar, thief, crook, Sandusky copy cat," the Associated Press reports. Sionni's comment was later deleted.
A spokesperson for Gemma's campaign denounced Sionni's statement, and he has been officially removed from the campaign.
Gemma is running against Cicilline in the September primary.
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Defending Anti-LGBT Laws, Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance'
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- Women 17 Reasons to Swoon Over Androgynous Model Harmony Boucher December 12 2013 8:48 PM
- Travel WestJet Showers Fliers With Holiday Gifts December 12 2013 8:18 PM
- Television 5 Reasons to Plug In to Masters of Sex December 12 2013 7:22 PM
- Travel VIDEO: Travel Helps People Live Longer, Says Study December 12 2013 6:35 PM
- Music WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts Song to Help Gay Russians December 12 2013 6:08 PM
- Religion WATCH: Lesbian Friend Might Convert Kids, Warns Robertson December 12 2013 6:03 PM
- Women 3 Gay Lady-Related Golden Globe Nominations that Make Us Happy! December 12 2013 4:20 PM