WATCH: Karl Rove's Super PAC Spends $1.2M to Defeat Tammy Baldwin
BY Sunnivie Brydum
September 26 2012 2:07 PM ET
A conservative super PAC cofounded by Karl Rove spent $1.2 million on a new television ad attacking Wisconsin Senate candidate and out lesbian Rep. Tammy Baldwin, according to CNN. Baldwin is in a tight race with Republican Tommy Thompson, a former Wisconsin governor whose campaign has been accused of antigay attacks on Baldwin. If elected, Baldwin would be the first openly LGBT U.S. senator.
The 30-second spot, produced and funded by Crossroads GPS, says Baldwin is "just too extreme for Wisconsin" and features audio of the seven-term congresswoman saying "Damn right," a none-too-subtle attempt to portray Baldwin as a stereotypical angry lesbian.
The ad alleges that Baldwin "rubber-stamped" trillions of dollars in new spending, an allusion to Baldwin's votes in favor of legislation passed during President Obama's first two years, when Democrats had control of Congress.
Baldwin's campaign communications director John Kraus responded, saying in a press release, "Despite spending over $6 million attacking Tammy Baldwin this year, all the public polls show we are moving in the right direction. The fact that Karl Rove spent one million dollars attacking us last week and another one million dollars this week, proves that point.
Some have speculated that Rove's dropping "money bombs" into Senate campaigns means the GOP honcho has given up on the Romney campaign. A Bloomberg reporter who sat in on a private Republican donor meeting indicated that when Rove starts spending on Senate campaigns, it's curtains for Romney's presidential bid.
Watch the video below.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- Canada Lifts Lifetime Blood Ban on Gay Men — But There's a Catch
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families May 23 2013 8:17 PM
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process May 23 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile May 23 2013 7:15 PM
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered May 23 2013 7:02 PM
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality May 23 2013 6:41 PM
- Youth Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth May 23 2013 6:22 PM
- Theater WATCH: How Billy Porter Becomes Kinky Boots Drag Diva May 23 2013 6:15 PM