Antigay Watch List: The Worst Who Want Your Vote
BY Trudy Ring
October 31 2012 5:00 AM ET
Steve King, U.S. House of Representatives, Iowa, fourth district
One of the National Organization for Marriage's closest allies is Steve King, who is seeking his sixth term from a district in western Iowa. King said he feared his state would become a “gay marriage mecca” after a 2009 state Supreme Court decision struck down barriers to legal marriage by same-sex couples. He went on a bus tour around the state encouraging voters to recall the justices who joined in that decision; the three who were up for retention votes in 2010 were indeed ousted, and another faces a vote this year. King also has contended that marriage equality was a step toward a society that took children away from their parents to be raised in warehouses. “There have been civilizations that have tried to do that,” he said. “The Spartans did that. They took the children away and taught them to be warriors.” Does he think LGBT people will abduct straight couples’ children and teach them to be … tolerant?
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Support Their Kid Wearing Suits
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Did Nickelodeon Just Confirm Legend of Korra Same-Sex Romance?
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment
- Freddy Krave Is His Own Best Model
- WATCH: Laverne Cox Caught in Middle of Screaming Match on The View