Billy Graham Takes Out Full-Page Ad for Amendment One
BY Lucas Grindley
May 03 2012 1:28 PM ET
Evangelist Billy Graham took the extraordinary move today, at least for him, of jumping into a referendum and calling on his followers to support the antigay Amendment One.
Graham has a history of working with both political parties, having met with presidents on either side of the aisle. He is known for remaining largely on the sidelines on political issues, at least compared to the likes of Jerry Falwell. But not this time.
"At 93, I never thought we would have to debate the definition of marriage," Graham wrote in an advertisement that will appear in 14 newspapers over the weekend, according to the Associated Press. "The Bible is clear — God's definition of marriage is between a man and a woman. I want to urge my fellow North Carolinians to vote FOR the marriage amendment on Tuesday, May 8."
Graham even says, "God bless you as you vote" in his sign-off.
The famed preacher hasn't been available in public much these days. His son Franklin Graham is president and CEO of the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association, based in Charlotte, which paid for the ads.
“Take a stand on God’s definition of marriage,” Franklin Graham urged in radio ads this week. Daughter Anne Graham Lotz has also been supportive of Amendment One.
Polls show the measure's supporters winning the argument in North Carolina with little movement in the final days.
- VIDEO: Duck Dynasty Star Says Gay People are Evil Murderers
- Report: A&E CEO Suspended Robertson for Sake of Gay Employees
- Should PR Exec Be Fired for AIDS Tweet?
- Artist Spotlight: Best of Art, 2013
- LGBT Activist Goes Missing in Buffalo, Community Rallies
- N.M. County Officials Resign Over Marriage Equality
- Travel PHOTOS: Amazing Gay Rodeo Exhibit in Indianapolis 2 hours 6 min ago
- Media Report: A&E CEO Suspended Robertson for Sake of Gay Employees 5:37 PM
- Media Should PR Exec Be Fired for AIDS Tweet? 3:03 PM
- Media VIDEO: Duck Dynasty Star Says Gay People are Evil Murderers 2:25 PM
- Business Lockheed Martin Cuts Off Money to Antigay Boy Scouts 1:10 PM
- Transgender LGBT Activist Goes Missing, Community Rallies 12:08 PM
- Transgender New Jersey Senate Passes Transgender Birth Certificate Bill 6:00 AM