Rhode Island Will Recognize Same-Sex Marriages From Other States
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
May 14 2012 6:45 PM ET
Rhode Island governor Lincoln Chafee spoke at a statehouse ceremony today and declared that the state will recognize all same-sex marriages performed elsewhere, according to the Associated Press, directing state agencies to essentially treat same-sex married couples the same as heterosexual ones.
The AP reports that the law in Rhode Island has been unclear on how to handle these couples as the state allows civil unions but not same-sex marriages
The move gives same-sex couples all the same rights as opposite-sex couples, so now same-sex couples in Rhode Island can both be on a child's birth certificate, spouses of employees covered by insurance companies regulated in Rhode Island will be entitled to health and life insurance benefits, and same-sex couples will be entitled to sales tax exemptions on the transfer of property including vehicles, according to The Washington Post.
Igor Volsky of Think Progress wrote earlier this month that Rhode Island's civil union law has been "a complete failure" in part because all the neighboring states offer legal same-sex marriage. A state House committee, says Volsky, is considering legislation to establish marriage equality in the Rhode Island or at least remove a religious exemption to the current civil union law. Yesterday, Chafee — who has publicly supported marriage equality since his election — told audiences that he didn't expect a marriage equality bill to pass in Rhode Island this legislative session.
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- Right-Wingers Call Frozen a Gay Indoctrination Film
- Judge Rules Homeless Jamaican LGBT Youth Can Keep Living in Sewers
- WATCH: Chelsea Handler Skewers Piers Morgan as a 'Terrible Interviewer'
- WATCH: 20 Strangers Kiss for the First Time
- Gay Politics - Marriage Equality, Gay Rights, Anti-Discrimination
- Religion Op-Ed: Pope's Legacy Will Be That He's Willing to Listen 1 hour 31 min ago
- Women WATCH: Isn't Beyoncé 'Bossy' - She's 'The BOSS' in New PSA to Empower Girls March 12 2014 8:04 PM
- World Explore Iran's Gay Underground Railroad March 12 2014 7:29 PM
- Film Is Frozen a Gay Indoctrination Manifesto? March 12 2014 7:25 PM
- Women WATCH: Is There Anyone a Pansexual Won't Date? March 12 2014 7:18 PM
- Politics Black Lesbian Nominated as Federal Judge Sails Through Hearing March 12 2014 7:10 PM
- Jamaica Judge: Homeless Jamaican LGBT Youth Can Live in Sewers March 12 2014 7:08 PM