Diaz Tells Followers that NAACP Was Wrong to Endorse Same-Sex Marriage
BY Neal Broverman
May 25 2012 3:53 PM ET
New York state senator Ruben Diaz Sr., a vociferous voice against LGBT rights, is at it again, this time forwarding an incendiary article from the Catholic News Agency to his constituents and followers.
The article insinuates that all African-American faith leaders oppose the NAACP and President Obama endorsing same-sex marriage. The piece doesn't quote any supporters of marriage equality, only giving space for faith leaders like Pastor Derek McCoy, executive director of the Maryland Marriage Alliance, to trash gay families. McCoy says same-sex marriage will lead to an epidemic of "fatherless" families, possibly assuming that gay male couples will not parent children (which, obviously, is already happening all over the country).
Diaz is not quoted in the piece, but he thought the article was appropriate to send to his followers. The state senator, who represents parts of the Bronx, is virulently antigay and also opposes reproductive rights and stem cell research.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Education Theological School Grads Show Support With Rainbow Tassels May 24 2013 8:55 PM
- Technology Want the Worst? Search for 'Gayest' May 24 2013 8:25 PM
- The End of Bullying WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student May 24 2013 7:58 PM
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt Refuses Plea, Heads to Court Over Same-Sex High School Relationship May 24 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics Ukrainian LGBT Pride Event Blocked May 24 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports MMA Fighter in First Fight Since Revealing Gender Transition May 24 2013 7:00 PM
- Women Op-Ed: Remembering Sakia Gunn: the News Coverage and Homophobic Murder May 24 2013 6:27 PM