Poll: Florida's Black Voters Show Big Shift on Marriage
BY Lucas Grindley
June 10 2012 3:11 PM ET
What a polling firm calls "the Obama effect" continues among black voters; this time, with a dramatic 48-point swing in Florida.
In September, Public Policy Polling found just 23% of Florida black voters supported marriage equality. Now not only do black voters support marriage equality, they favor it by a wide margin, 49% to 31%. It wasn't enough, though, to turn the entire state in favor of marriage with voters as a whole still opposed 45% to 42%.
PPP has identified a national trend of support shifting at the state level. First in North Carolina, 44% of African-Americans supported either marriage or civil unions just before a vote in May on Amendment One. That number shot up to 55% with opposition also falling drastically just days after President Obama announced his support.
Then in Maryland PPP pollster Tom Jensen said the firm had found a “major shift in opinion” among African-American voters, who a poll in May showed support the state's marriage equality law by 55% to 36%. The numbers had essentially flipped since March.
The NAACP and a host of prominent black pop-culture figures have come out for marraige equality since, spurring on a conversation about a topic that had once remained largely untouched.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Harvey Milk Day Has Group Worried About 'Indoctrinating' Kids
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Anonymous Boy Scouts Employee Says Antigay Policy Hurts Business
Sign Up For Email Updates
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? 33 min ago
- Women SheWired Shot of the Day: Chloe Sevigny Absolut-ly Sizzles for Elyxr 57 min 54 sec ago
- Crime Arrest Made in Latest Antigay Attack in NYC 1 hour 8 min ago
- Youth Anonymous Boy Scouts Employee Says Antigay Policy Hurts Business 1 hour 13 min ago
- Youth Harvey Milk Day Has Group Worried About 'Indoctrinating' Kids 1 hour 29 min ago
- Theater See Which Hunk Won the 2013 Broadway Beauty Pageant 1 hour 33 min ago
- Politicians Harvey Milk Day: First Park in Nation Named for Rights Pioneer 1 hour 45 min ago