Minn. Marriage Equality Supporters Lead in Fundraising
BY Julie Bolcer
June 20 2012 10:05 AM ET
The coalition opposed to the constitutional amendment against marriage equality in Minnesota raised more than three times the amount generated by opponents that want to ban same-sex marriage, according to a new campaign filing.
The Associated Press reports on figures released Tuesday that show the marriage equality coalition, Minnesotans United for All Families, has raised $4.6 million since the start of the campaign last year, compared to $1.4 million raised by Minnesota for Marriage, which supports the constitutional amendment. Minnesotans United said that contributions have come from almost 20,000 individual donors, with more than 85% of the money coming from inside the state.
Voters will decide the constitutional amendment on the November ballot, and according to a Public Policy Polling survey earlier this month, the measure “appears to be in serious danger of failing.” The poll released June 5 found that 49% of voters oppose the amendment and 43% support it, compared to four months ago when voters favored the measure by 48% to 44%.
In recent days, executives from Minnesota-based food giant General Mills have spoken against the amendment. The AP reports that Kendall Powell, the CEO, gave to Minnesotans United, in addition to other executives including Gregory Page of Cargill and Douglas Baker of Ecolab.
A spokesman for Minnesota for Marriage told the AP that his group was unconcerned about the disparity in fund-raising and felt confident about the fact that measures to ban same-sex marriage have passed in more than 30 states. Marriage equality advocates hope to break that streak this year, with votes to retain the marriage equality laws in Washington and Maine, and a vote to reverse the repeal of the Maine marriage equality law.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa 4:00 AM
- Education Theological School Grads Show Support With Rainbow Tassels May 24 2013 8:55 PM
- Technology Want the Worst? Search for 'Gayest' May 24 2013 8:25 PM
- The End of Bullying WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student May 24 2013 7:58 PM
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt Refuses Plea, Heads to Court Over Same-Sex High School Relationship May 24 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics Ukrainian LGBT Pride Event Blocked May 24 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports MMA Fighter in First Fight Since Revealing Gender Transition May 24 2013 7:00 PM