Minn. Marriage Equality Supporters Lead in Fundraising
BY Julie Bolcer
June 20 2012 10:05 AM ET
The coalition opposed to the constitutional amendment against marriage equality in Minnesota raised more than three times the amount generated by opponents that want to ban same-sex marriage, according to a new campaign filing.
The Associated Press reports on figures released Tuesday that show the marriage equality coalition, Minnesotans United for All Families, has raised $4.6 million since the start of the campaign last year, compared to $1.4 million raised by Minnesota for Marriage, which supports the constitutional amendment. Minnesotans United said that contributions have come from almost 20,000 individual donors, with more than 85% of the money coming from inside the state.
Voters will decide the constitutional amendment on the November ballot, and according to a Public Policy Polling survey earlier this month, the measure “appears to be in serious danger of failing.” The poll released June 5 found that 49% of voters oppose the amendment and 43% support it, compared to four months ago when voters favored the measure by 48% to 44%.
In recent days, executives from Minnesota-based food giant General Mills have spoken against the amendment. The AP reports that Kendall Powell, the CEO, gave to Minnesotans United, in addition to other executives including Gregory Page of Cargill and Douglas Baker of Ecolab.
A spokesman for Minnesota for Marriage told the AP that his group was unconcerned about the disparity in fund-raising and felt confident about the fact that measures to ban same-sex marriage have passed in more than 30 states. Marriage equality advocates hope to break that streak this year, with votes to retain the marriage equality laws in Washington and Maine, and a vote to reverse the repeal of the Maine marriage equality law.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women WATCH: Sara Gilbert is a Lesbian Stereotype in Flannel and Birkenstocks 24 min 59 sec ago
- Women Lena Dunham Is NOT Amused By Lesbian Porn Parody of Girls 1 hour 6 min ago
- Music Gay Singer-Songwriter Deals with Heartbreak 1 hour 8 min ago
- Politics Obama Nominates Lesbian Attorney for Second EEOC Term 1 hour 9 min ago
- Theater New Play Criticizes Gay Minstrel Roles 1 hour 18 min ago
- Women Shot of the Day: WildFang's Tomboy Line Channels Androgynous Icons 1 hour 27 min ago
- Women WATCH: Real Lesbians Watch and Break Down 'Lesbian' Porn 1 hour 37 min ago