Google Pushes For Marriage Equality With New Campaign
BY Jeremy Kinser
July 08 2012 2:46 PM ET
Internet search engine Google launched "Legalize Love," a campaign that shows its support of same-sex marriage, reports Dot429.
In a written statement Google describes "Legalize Love' as "a campaign to promote safer conditions for gay and lesbian people inside and outside the office in countries with anti-gay laws on the books."
Mark Palmer-Edgecumbe, Google's head of diversity, outlined the initiative at a Global LGBT Workplace Summit in London on Saturday, saying "We want our employees who are gay or lesbian or transgender to have the same experience outside the office as they do in the office. It is obviously a very ambitious piece of work.
The campaign officially launched Saturday in Poland and Singapore. Google plans to eventually expand the initiative to every country where the company has an office, and will focus on places with homophobic cultures, where anti-gay laws exist.
Palmer-Edgecumbe also spoke about the decision to launch the initial phase in a country like Singapore, saying, "Singapore wants to be a global financial center and world leader and we can push them on the fact that being a global center and a world leader means you have to treat all people the same, irrespective of their sexual orientation."
This isn't the first time the internet leader has shown its support for equality. In February Google celebrated Valentine's Day with a romance-themed animated Google Doodle that offered a nod to LGBT users (pictured).
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages
- Hot Sheet: A New Quiver
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- WATCH: Rachel Maddow Blasts Critics of Obama's Funny or Die Interview
- Vox Editor in Chief Defends Hiring of 'Homophobic' Gay Writer
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: A New Quiver March 14 2014 7:30 PM
- Travel State Department: Russia is Dangerous for All Americans March 14 2014 6:55 PM
- Women The 31 Most Eligible Out Women of 2014 March 14 2014 6:41 PM
- Marriage Equality Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages March 14 2014 6:39 PM
- Film Is Terence Davies' The Long Day Closes the Greatest Gay Film Ever Made? March 14 2014 5:30 PM
- Media Vox Editor in Chief Defends Hiring of 'Homophobic' Gay Writer March 14 2014 4:37 PM
- Health HHS Orders Insurers to Cover All Married Same-Sex Couples March 14 2014 4:14 PM