Google Pushes For Marriage Equality With New Campaign
BY Jeremy Kinser
July 08 2012 2:46 PM ET
Internet search engine Google launched "Legalize Love," a campaign that shows its support of same-sex marriage, reports Dot429.
In a written statement Google describes "Legalize Love' as "a campaign to promote safer conditions for gay and lesbian people inside and outside the office in countries with anti-gay laws on the books."
Mark Palmer-Edgecumbe, Google's head of diversity, outlined the initiative at a Global LGBT Workplace Summit in London on Saturday, saying "We want our employees who are gay or lesbian or transgender to have the same experience outside the office as they do in the office. It is obviously a very ambitious piece of work.
The campaign officially launched Saturday in Poland and Singapore. Google plans to eventually expand the initiative to every country where the company has an office, and will focus on places with homophobic cultures, where anti-gay laws exist.
Palmer-Edgecumbe also spoke about the decision to launch the initial phase in a country like Singapore, saying, "Singapore wants to be a global financial center and world leader and we can push them on the fact that being a global center and a world leader means you have to treat all people the same, irrespective of their sexual orientation."
This isn't the first time the internet leader has shown its support for equality. In February Google celebrated Valentine's Day with a romance-themed animated Google Doodle that offered a nod to LGBT users (pictured).
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy
- Anonymous Boy Scouts Employee Says Antigay Policy Hurts Business
- Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence?
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship 1 hour 4 min ago
- Military Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy 1 hour 7 min ago
- Internet WATCH: The First AIDS Generation in Giant Town Hall 1 hour 51 min ago
- Politics Joe Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Marriage Equality 1 hour 58 min ago
- Travel Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples 5:07 PM
- Women SheWired Shot of the Day: Chloe Sevigny Absolut-ly Sizzles for Elyxr 4:50 PM
- Crime Arrest Made in Latest Antigay Attack in NYC 4:39 PM