Google Pushes For Marriage Equality With New Campaign
BY Jeremy Kinser
July 08 2012 1:46 PM ET
Internet search engine Google launched "Legalize Love," a campaign that shows its support of same-sex marriage, reports Dot429.
In a written statement Google describes "Legalize Love' as "a campaign to promote safer conditions for gay and lesbian people inside and outside the office in countries with anti-gay laws on the books."
Mark Palmer-Edgecumbe, Google's head of diversity, outlined the initiative at a Global LGBT Workplace Summit in London on Saturday, saying "We want our employees who are gay or lesbian or transgender to have the same experience outside the office as they do in the office. It is obviously a very ambitious piece of work.
The campaign officially launched Saturday in Poland and Singapore. Google plans to eventually expand the initiative to every country where the company has an office, and will focus on places with homophobic cultures, where anti-gay laws exist.
Palmer-Edgecumbe also spoke about the decision to launch the initial phase in a country like Singapore, saying, "Singapore wants to be a global financial center and world leader and we can push them on the fact that being a global center and a world leader means you have to treat all people the same, irrespective of their sexual orientation."
This isn't the first time the internet leader has shown its support for equality. In February Google celebrated Valentine's Day with a romance-themed animated Google Doodle that offered a nod to LGBT users (pictured).
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM