A First: GOP Congresswoman Supports Marriage Equality
BY Lucas Grindley
July 13 2012 4:54 PM ET
Congresswoman Ileana Ros-Lehtinen has verified her support for marriage equality to the Washington Blade, making her the first Republican member of the House to do so.
Ros-Lehtinen also became the first Republican to sign on as a cosponsor for a bill repealing the Defense of Marriage Act — called the Respect for Marriage Act — back in September.
The Blade reports that Ros-Lehtinen at first seemed suspicious of the reporter's question about whether she supports marriage equality. "I thought you were trying to get some tricky thing here," she told the Blade, then verified she's a supporter of same-sex marriage: "I am.”
Ros-Lehtinen's support for marriage equality had been presumed by some but never explicitly outlined. The Florida congresswoman's district includes South Beach, most of Miami, and the Florida Keys.
She is further breaking from the leaders of her party in the House, who not only oppose marriage equality but also are funding a legal defense of the Defense of Marriage Act in court.
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2
- Op-ed: When Is the Right Time to Tell Your HIV Status on a Date?
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics December 08 2013 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License December 08 2013 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 December 08 2013 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' December 08 2013 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member December 08 2013 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights December 08 2013 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM