New Zealand Parliament Considers Adoption by Gays
BY Sunnivie Brydum
August 30 2012 12:00 PM ET
Just one day after a bill legalizing same-sex marriage passed its first hurdle in New Zealand's Parliament, the chamber is also considering legalizing adoption by same-sex couples. Member of Parliament Jacinda Arden of the Labor Party sponsored the Care of Children Law Reform Bill, which would update New Zealand's outdated, discriminatory adoption laws.
Under current law, only a single person or married spouses may legally adopt children, reports New Zealand's OneNews. Arden told OneNews that her bill would correct discriminatory inconsistencies in the law, which does not allow couples in a civil union to adopt children.
"Currently a gay individual can adopt a child, but a gay couple can't," Arden told OneNews. "A de facto heterosexual couple can adopt, but a civil union heterosexual couple can't. This makes no sense and needs to be fixed."
Civil unions for same-sex couples and opposite-sex couples have been legal in New Zealand since 2004.
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
- Man of Steel: A Gay Allegory For Our Time
- PHOTOS: French Photographer Fights Homophobia With 'Imaginary Couples'
- Op-ed: Why Cindy McCain Really Is a 'Hero'
- No Marriage Rulings From Supremes Today
- WATCH: For Father's Day, This 10-Year-Old Wants Job Security for Her Gay Dads
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Travel PHOTOS: L.A.'s Favorite Park Reopens After $45M Renovation June 17 2013 8:54 PM
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Series Easy Abby Season Finale June 17 2013 8:16 PM
- Women Melissa Etheridge Says Angelina Jolie Made 'Fearful Choice' on Breast Cancer June 17 2013 6:46 PM
- Entertainment News NYC Gay Bar Gets Reality Show... June 17 2013 6:09 PM
- Women Duh: Ellen DeGeneres Is Still Most Recognizable Gay American June 17 2013 6:07 PM
- Sports Greg Louganis is Getting Married June 17 2013 6:06 PM
- Religion Gay Catholics Turn Their Backs to Cardinal Who Compared LGBT Equality to KKK June 17 2013 5:20 PM