Sen. Rubio Joins Anti-Marriage Equality Robocall Campaign
BY Trudy Ring
November 04 2012 3:23 PM ET
When voters in Maine, Maryland, and Washington receive robocalls urging them to vote against marriage equality Tuesday, one of the voices on the line will be that of U.S. senator Marco Rubio of Florida, a rising star in the Republican Party.
Rubio has joined former Arkansas governor Mike Huckabee and antigay minister James Dobson in recording anti–marriage equality robocalls for the National Organization for Marriage, the Washington Blade reports. They will be in English and Spanish.
In Maine, Maryland, and Washington, voters are considering ballot measures that would extend marriage rights to same-sex couples. The NOM robocalls will also go to Wisconsin, Ohio, and Pennsylvania, which are considered swing states in the presidential election. The robocall campaign has a $500,000 budget, according to a NOM press release.
Rubio is an up-and-comer in the Republican Party as it tries to increase support among Latinos, and he was said to be under consideration as a vice-presidential candidate. The Blade notes, “Rubio’s opposition to same-sex marriage is well known, although he contrasts with Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney on the issue by not supporting a Federal Marriage Amendment. As a senator, Rubio has voted against an LGBT-inclusive reauthorization of the Violence Against Women Act and doesn’t co-sponsor any pro-LGBT bills.”
Of the NOM effort, Human Rights Campaign spokesman Fred Sainz told the Blade, “I’m sure these calls will be full of the last-minute lies that NOM trots out during every campaign. It’s their stock in trade. But we’re confident that fair-minded Americans will reject the messages. No doubt there will be a fair number of ‘unsubscribes’ in the process.”
HRC also has a robocall campaign going, urging voters to support marriage equality, reelect President Obama, and elect other pro-LGBT candidates.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good As Dead, Say Advocates
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Marriage Equality Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says 10 min 41 sec ago
- Women Op-Ed: Case of Lesbian Teen Kaitlyn Hunt Raises Questions About Sexual Double Standard 23 min 14 sec ago
- Music WATCH: Is This the Worst Music Video Ever? 36 min 52 sec ago
- Transgender Jesse Tyler Ferguson Slams His Former Catholic School's Transphobic Graduation Policy 36 min 57 sec ago
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame 38 min 23 sec ago
- Politics Democratic 'Betrayal' Leaves Binational LGBT Families Stranded 49 min 45 sec ago
- Travel Peace Corps Opens to Same-Sex Couples 1 hour 4 min ago