Antigay Group in Maine Caught Posting Vile, Homophobic Rant
BY Lucas Grindley
November 06 2012 2:59 PM ET
The group opposing marriage equality in Maine has removed a vile rant posted on its website just as voters headed to the polls, according to ThinkProgress.
The Protect Marriage Maine website had listed "25 Reasons to Preserve Traditional Marriage," and ThinkProgress noticed it and labeled the post "an epic screed revealing many of its true motives." The group then removed the post but ThinkProgress kept a copy.
For starters, Protect Marriage Maine cast all gay people as a lustful type of monster (to harken a phrase coined by NFL player Chris Kluwe).
"The basis of homosexuality is centered around anonymous sexual encounters," the group claimed. "Long term relationships are very rare."
It described LGBT people as "highly promiscuous" and argued that same-sex marriage would mean the end of "a family-based sexually monogamous society."
It got worse from there. The rant claimed gay people spread AIDS and other sexually transmitted diseases — and not just accidentally.
"Another social problem is that it is largely predatory," the rant continued. "Part of the thrill, part of the challenge, is having sex with the inexperienced, the uninitiated, and to dare say that out loud, even though it is true, is to risk being called 'intolerant,' 'homophobic,' or worse."
The last poll out of Maine shows marriage equality leading in the state.
- An Exodus From the 'Ex-Gay' Movement?
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
- PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine
- PHOTOS: Pride From France to Italy to Greece
- Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other
- R&B Singer Monifah Carter Talks About Her Journey as a Lesbian in the Music Industry
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Religion An Exodus From the 'Ex-Gay' Movement? 2 hours 26 sec ago
- Entertainment News A Moment For James Gandolfini June 19 2013 11:38 PM
- Entertainment News Muscle Worship: Meet the Men of L.A.'s New Gay Strip Club June 19 2013 9:45 PM
- Religion Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other June 19 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem June 19 2013 7:20 PM
- Crime Police Seek Suspects Who Vandalized Chick-fil-A With Antigay Slurs June 19 2013 7:18 PM
- Women Martina Navratilova, Billie Jean King Among First Inductees to Gay and Lesbian Sports Hall of Fame June 19 2013 6:51 PM