Antigay Group in Maine Caught Posting Vile, Homophobic Rant
BY Lucas Grindley
November 06 2012 1:59 PM ET
The group opposing marriage equality in Maine has removed a vile rant posted on its website just as voters headed to the polls, according to ThinkProgress.
The Protect Marriage Maine website had listed "25 Reasons to Preserve Traditional Marriage," and ThinkProgress noticed it and labeled the post "an epic screed revealing many of its true motives." The group then removed the post but ThinkProgress kept a copy.
For starters, Protect Marriage Maine cast all gay people as a lustful type of monster (to harken a phrase coined by NFL player Chris Kluwe).
"The basis of homosexuality is centered around anonymous sexual encounters," the group claimed. "Long term relationships are very rare."
It described LGBT people as "highly promiscuous" and argued that same-sex marriage would mean the end of "a family-based sexually monogamous society."
It got worse from there. The rant claimed gay people spread AIDS and other sexually transmitted diseases — and not just accidentally.
"Another social problem is that it is largely predatory," the rant continued. "Part of the thrill, part of the challenge, is having sex with the inexperienced, the uninitiated, and to dare say that out loud, even though it is true, is to risk being called 'intolerant,' 'homophobic,' or worse."
The last poll out of Maine shows marriage equality leading in the state.
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: Lesbian Friend Might Convert Kids, Says Pat Robertson
- WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts New Anthem Supporting LGBT Russians
- Women 17 Reasons to Swoon Over Androgynous Model Harmony Boucher 2 hours 52 min ago
- Travel WestJet Showers Fliers With Holiday Gifts 8:18 PM
- Television 5 Reasons to Plug In to Masters of Sex 7:22 PM
- Travel VIDEO: Travel Helps People Live Longer, Says Study 6:35 PM
- Music WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts Song to Help Gay Russians 6:08 PM
- Religion WATCH: Lesbian Friend Might Convert Kids, Warns Robertson 6:03 PM
- Women 3 Gay Lady-Related Golden Globe Nominations that Make Us Happy! 4:20 PM