After Crucial Wins, Rhode Island Sets Sights On Marriage Law
BY Michelle Garcia
November 07 2012 4:15 PM ET
Following a pickup of several more LGBT allies in the Rhode Island state legislature, marriage equality advocates are confident their state can pass a law to grant same-sex couples the right to marry.
The general assembly picked up at least four more marriage equality supporters in Tuesday's election, the Associated Press reports. An effort to legalize marriage has also been boosted by voters in Washington, Maryland, and nearby Maine, who decided to allow same-sex couples the right to marry Tuesday night.
"While there are still some races yet to be decided, the pro-equality impact on the 2012 election was both significant and undeniable,"Fight Back RI campaign director Ray Sullivan said in a statement Tuesday night. "We were proud to stand with those who stand with us and eagerly anticipate working with new and long-time equality supporters from both sides of the aisle when the Assembly returns in January."
Rhode Island Gov. Lincoln Chafee has indicated that he would support such a law, and has even declared in May that the state will recognize same-sex couples who were legally married elsewhere as being married in Rhode Island.
- Morrisey's Gay Relationship Scrubbed From U.S. Edition of Autobiography
- WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor Over Immigration
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- New York Officials Demand Olympic Sponsors Take Action
- Transgender Are Federal Contractors Allowed to Discriminate Against Trans People? 9 min 18 sec ago
- HIV & AIDS Nelson Mandela, HIV Advocate and Humanitarian, Dies at 95 27 min 52 sec ago
- Books Morrisey's Gay Relationship Scrubbed From U.S. Edition of Autobiography 44 min 34 sec ago
- World News Nelson Mandela, Humanitarian and HIV Advocate, Dies at 95 46 min 21 sec ago
- Women Toni Braxton's Dream Role Is to Play Lesbian on Orange Is the New Black 47 min 31 sec ago
- Entertainment News Sam Champion Receives Emotional Send-Off From Good Morning America 1 hour 17 min ago
- Style Model Watch: Learn How To Charm The Camera With Marc Buckner 1 hour 48 min ago