WATCH: The Moment of Victory in Maine
BY Sunnivie Brydum
November 09 2012 7:18 PM ET
On Tuesday night, Maine became the first state in U.S. history to legalize marriage equality through a popular vote. While Washington state and Maryland voters also approved same-sex marriage bills put forward by the state legislature, Maine's initiative was distinct because just three years earlier, Mainers voted to rescind marriage equality legislation put forward by the state legislature.
But on November 6, Maine voters definitively changed their minds, voting to reinstate marriage equality with 54% of the electorate voting "Yes" on Question 1. The moment of victory was caught on video and shows a jubilant crowd rejoicing at Mainers United for Marriage's headquarters. Watch the video below, and grab a box of tissues for the coming tears of joy.
- Fred Phelps Excommunicated and Near Death?
- WATCH: Ark. High School Yearbook Refuses to Profile Out Student
- A Brief History of Gays and the St. Patrick's Day Parade
- Author of Russia's 'Gay Propaganda' Law Sanctioned for Role in Ukraine Crisis
- LGBT Exclusion Costs St. Paddy's Parades
- WATCH: First Gay Hug Parodies First Kiss Viral Video
- Travel WeHo's Most Notorious Nudie Motel Going Mainstream 31 min 14 sec ago
- Women 31 Most Eligible Out Women of 2014 43 min 11 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Lesbians Explain - How Two Women Fall In Love 57 min 6 sec ago
- Russia Author of Russia's 'Gay Propaganda' Law Sanctioned for Role in Ukraine Crisis 59 min 16 sec ago
- Youth WATCH: Ark. Yearbook Cuts Profile of Gay Student 1 hour 19 min ago
- Women WATCH: PLL's Shay Mitchell - 'Sometimes I'd Rather Kiss Another Girl' 1 hour 41 min ago
- Politics Ore. AG Rules 'Religious Freedom' Bill Title Must Say 'Discrimination' 1 hour 56 min ago