Maryland Rings in New Year With Marriage Equality
BY Trudy Ring
January 01 2013 5:23 AM ET
Same-sex couples in Maryland began marrying just after midnight New Year’s Day as the state’s marriage equality law went into effect.
James Scales and William Tasker were among seven couples married at Baltimore City Hall, the Associated Press reports. Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake performed the ceremony for the couple; Scales has worked for the mayor’s office for 25 years.
“It’s just so hard to believe it’s happening,” Scales said. The two men have been together for 35 years.
Helene Coccagna and Sara Davis were marrying in a private ceremony at midnight. The two women, together for 12 years, had worked to legalize same-sex marriage in the state. “You might think that things aren’t possible, but you know if you work on it things can become possible,” Coccagna told Baltimore’s ABC TV affiliate before the ceremony. See video of the couple below.
Gay couples in Maryland were able to begin getting marriage licenses December 6, but marriages could not take place until the new year. The state was one of three that affirmed marriage equality at the ballot box in November. The legislature approved the same-sex marriage law in February and Gov. Martin O’Malley signed it in March, but opponents gathered enough petition signatures to put it to a referendum, in which it passed with 52% in favor.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence?
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Entertainment News Karl Lagerfeld's Cat Has A Better Life Than You 27 min 9 sec ago
- Health News AIDS Deaths Plummet In Africa 30 min 5 sec ago
- Military PHOTOS: Shirtless, Sweaty Naval Academy Freshman Climb Greased Obelisk 40 min 33 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Amy Schumer and Amber Tamblyn Watch Porn and Make Out 53 min 11 sec ago
- Art When Shel Silverstein Covered Fire Island for Playboy 1 hour 1 min ago
- Entertainment News Filmmaker Needs Help to Penetrate the South 1 hour 44 min ago
- Commentary NYC Hate Crimes: Why I'm Afraid for First Time in My Life 2 hours 1 min ago