PHOTOS: Mayor of Bloomington, Ind., Marries LGBT Couples
BY Sunnivie Brydum
February 01 2013 7:26 PM ET
Thursday night at about 10 o'clock, the mayor of Bloomington, Ind., married more than a dozen same-sex couples on the opening night of the town's 10th annual Pride LGBT Film Festival. Inside the Buskirk-Chumley Theater, couples took the stage en masse and exchanged vows with Mayor Mark Kruzan presiding.
But the nature of the ceremonies wasn't strictly celebratory; Mayor Kruzan, joined by several city and county council members, hosted the mass wedding as a protest against Indiana's proposed constitutional amendment that would ban same-sex marriage.
House Joint Resolution 6 would amend Indiana's constitution to define marriage as the union of one man and one woman, and would ban the creation of similar legal structures to provide relationship recognition rights to same-sex couples in the state. The state Senate passed the legislation in 2011 on a vote of 40-10, reports Indiana Equality. Due to the state's lawmaking rules, to become law, the legislation must pass the House and Senate again in 2013 or 2014. If the legislation passes this year or next, it will appear on the ballot for Indiana voters in 2014.
But for the dozen couples who gathered to celebrate their love and commitment last night, the evening's mood was celebratory and perhaps even revolutionary. Take a look at the photos, shot by Ann Schertz, on the following pages.
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- Just Another Day at Work in LGBT America
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President 8 min ago
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics 1 hour 5 min ago
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes 1 hour 19 min ago
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn 1 hour 37 min ago
- Women Pussy Riot To Be Freed 1 hour 50 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Two and a Half Men's Respectful Job With Trans Character 2 hours 20 min ago
- Health New Campaign Inspires LGBT Americans to Take Advantage of Obamacare 3:58 PM