France Moves Closer to Marriage Equality
BY Trudy Ring
February 12 2013 1:33 PM ET
The lower house of France’s Parliament today passed a bill granting marriage and adoption rights to same-sex couples, moving it a step closer to becoming law.
The National Assembly approved the bill by a vote of 329-229, and it now goes to the Senate, where passage is likely, the Associated Press reports.
The bill has the support of the Socialist Party, which controls the Senate. That is also the party of President François Hollande and Prime Minister Jean-Marc Ayrault.
“This law is going to extend to all families the protections guaranteed by the institution of marriage,” Ayrault said before the vote, according to the AP. “Contrary to what those who vociferate against it say — fortunately they’re in the minority — this law is going to strengthen the institution of marriage.”
Added Socialist representative Corinne Narassiguin: “This law is a first necessary step, a social evolution that benefits society overall. Opening up marriage and adoption to homosexual couples is a very beautiful advance. ... It is an emblematic vote, a vote that will mark history.”
France joins the United Kingdom in making a move toward marriage equality; they would be the largest European countries with equal marriage rights for gay couples.
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay?
- PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Film Why is Behind the Candelabra Like Valley of the Dolls? 23 min 27 sec ago
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People 6:00 AM
- Youth WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Scout Comes Out to Camp Leader 5:00 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay? 4:34 AM
- Current Issue We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago 4:00 AM
- Sports Water Polo Player Addresses WeHo City Council in Speedo May 22 2013 10:00 PM
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper May 22 2013 9:00 PM