Gay Son of GOP Congressman Defends Dad's Opposition to Marriage Equality
BY Neal Broverman
April 03 2013 5:41 PM ET
Arizona congressman Matt Salmon recently reiterated his opposition to marriage equality, prompting his gay son to come to his defense.
After the Republican politician stated his position in a television interview, his Facebook page was barraged with negative comments. In response, Matt Salmon's son, also named Matt, spoke to the Washington Blade about his father.
“He doesn’t see it as not allowing his son to be with the person he loves, because he knows that regardless of where marriage is, I’m going to be with the person that I love,” he told the newspaper. “Whether I can legally marry in Arizona or not, it’s not going to change that fact and my father knows that and he accepts my desire to be with the man that I love. As far as it goes with marriage, for him it’s a matter of what marriage means to him — to him marriage is defined as between a man and a woman. It has nothing to do with the way he views a person’s relationship, and that’s the thing that I think is hard for people to understand.”
The younger Salmon was raised with the Mormon faith and is a former president of the Log Cabin Republicans; in 2011 he filmed an It Gets Better video. Watch it below.
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Lady Gaga Congratulates Tom Daley, Urges Boycott of Sochi Olympics
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary
- Politics WATCH: Elton John Slams Russia's Anti-LGBT Laws Onstage December 06 2013 8:40 PM
- Women American Horror Story: Coven -- Ritual Witch-ual December 06 2013 8:30 PM
- Travel Wanna Win a Wedding in West Hollywood? December 06 2013 7:26 PM
- Election Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary December 06 2013 6:53 PM
- Women WATCH: Santana Lopez as the Best Bad Santa Ever! December 06 2013 6:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Robertson Prays for Gays 'Recruited' By Abuse December 06 2013 4:41 PM
- Women WATCH: Idina Menzel's Female Empowerment Anthem from Frozen December 06 2013 4:07 PM