Nevada Marriage Equality Headed to Senate Floor
BY Sunnivie Brydum
April 11 2013 3:48 PM ET
Nevada moved one step closer to legalizing marriage equality this morning, as the Senate Legislative Operations and Elections Committee passed a bill repealing the state's heterosexual-only defintion of marriage along a party-line of 3-2. The bill now heads to the Senate floor for a full vote.
Senate Joint Resolution 13 would amend the Nevada constitution to repeal language that only allows the state to recognize marriages between two people of opposite genders, according to a legislative summary of the bill posted on the State's website.
Because SJR13 would amend the state constitution, the legislature must pass the bill in two consecutive legislative sessions, without gubernatorial approval, according to the Human Rights Campaign. If the legislation passes both chambers this year and during the next session in 2015, then the amendment will be put before voters in 2016. At that point, the amendment just needs a simple majority of support from Nevada voters to become law.
Public support for marriage equality in Nevada is at 54 percent, according to a poll from the Retail Association of Nevada, cited in February on HRC's blog.
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Colo. School Board Member Denies Existence of Gay, Trans Identities
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor Over Immigration
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 1 hour 52 min ago
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations December 07 2013 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year December 07 2013 8:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination December 07 2013 7:00 AM