Nevada Marriage Equality Headed to Senate Floor
BY Sunnivie Brydum
April 11 2013 4:48 PM ET
Nevada moved one step closer to legalizing marriage equality this morning, as the Senate Legislative Operations and Elections Committee passed a bill repealing the state's heterosexual-only defintion of marriage along a party-line of 3-2. The bill now heads to the Senate floor for a full vote.
Senate Joint Resolution 13 would amend the Nevada constitution to repeal language that only allows the state to recognize marriages between two people of opposite genders, according to a legislative summary of the bill posted on the State's website.
Because SJR13 would amend the state constitution, the legislature must pass the bill in two consecutive legislative sessions, without gubernatorial approval, according to the Human Rights Campaign. If the legislation passes both chambers this year and during the next session in 2015, then the amendment will be put before voters in 2016. At that point, the amendment just needs a simple majority of support from Nevada voters to become law.
Public support for marriage equality in Nevada is at 54 percent, according to a poll from the Retail Association of Nevada, cited in February on HRC's blog.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination
- Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
- Why Television Is Outpacing Film in Diversity
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist March 10 2014 7:44 PM
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! March 10 2014 6:22 PM
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias March 10 2014 6:08 PM