Ill. Governor: Time for Marriage Equality
BY Trudy Ring
May 10 2013 2:26 PM ET
In the wake of marriage equality advances in Rhode Island, Delaware, and Minnesota, the governor of Illinois says it’s time for his state to get moving on its bill.
“It’s time to vote,” Gov. Pat Quinn told the Chicago Tribune Thursday. “Illinois passing marriage equality into law, I think, sends a great signal to the people of our state and the people of America. So it’s important to Illinois [that] the House of Representatives get going.”
The state Senate approved the marriage equality bill on Valentine’s Day, but it has yet to come to a vote in the House. Rep. Greg Harris, its chief sponsor, has not said when he would bring it up. He and other backers want to be assured they have enough support for passage before calling a vote, but they are making progress toward the 60 yes votes they need. Quinn has pledged to sign the bill. The legislative session ends May 31.
Harris said he hopes Illinoisans take a lesson from the states that have already enacted marriage equality.
“People who were married before same sex marriage are still happy and with their families,” Harris said. “All that has occurred is that the community has been strengthened, families have been strengthened, and children have found loving parents to help raise them.”
Meanwhile, there will be competing pro- and anti-marriage equality protests at two state representatives’ offices over the weekend. The right-wing Illinois Family Institute will be countered by the Gay Liberation Network at the office of Anthony DeLuca in Chicago Heights and by Fox Valley Pride at the office of Stephanie Kifwit in Aurora. For more info, email LGBTLiberation@aol.com.
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- Defending Anti-LGBT Laws, Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance'
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- Women 17 Reasons to Swoon Over Androgynous Model Harmony Boucher 1 hour 7 min ago
- Travel WestJet Showers Fliers With Holiday Gifts 1 hour 37 min ago
- Television 5 Reasons to Plug In to Masters of Sex 2 hours 34 min ago
- Travel VIDEO: Travel Helps People Live Longer, Says Study 6:35 PM
- Music WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts Song to Help Gay Russians 6:08 PM
- Religion WATCH: Lesbian Friend Might Convert Kids, Warns Robertson 6:03 PM
- Women 3 Gay Lady-Related Golden Globe Nominations that Make Us Happy! 4:20 PM