Ohio Couple Sues for Marriage Recognition
BY Sunnivie Brydum
July 21 2013 2:57 PM ET
A gay couple from Ohio who recently flew to Maryland to marry is preparing to challenge their home state's ban on marriage equality, according to Cincinnati's WXVU. The couple's attorney asked the federal court to expedite the case, since one of the men is terminally ill.
John Arthur and Jim Obergefell have been together for two decades — and last week, the 47-year-old couple flew to Maryland to marry on the tarmac of Baltimore-Washington International Airport. Through donations from friends, family, and Arthur's hospice, the couple was able to travel on a private medical plane that could accommodate Arthur's gurney and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. ALS, as the disease is commonly known, is a progressive neurological disease that systematically destroys its victims' ability to walk, speak, and eventually, to breathe. Arthur was diagnosed with ALS 26 months ago, and has been bedridden since March, reports the Cincinnati Enquirer.
Represented by Al Gerhardsen, the couple filed suit in federal District Court on Friday, reports WXVU. A preliminary hearing is scheduled on Monday at 1:30 p.m. before U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Black.
"We do hope to build from here, and have this be the first step towards marriage equality in Ohio," said attorney Al Gerhardsen. "But for now, we just want to be sure that when John dies, the death record shows him as married."
The lawsuit formally names state and Cincinnati officials as defendants. One of those defendants, Ohio attorney general Mike Dewine, says he will defend the ban on marriage equality, which was enacted by Ohio voters in 2004.
"The voters of Ohio voted on this and they made their decision," Dewine told WVXU. "It's my obligation to defend that decision until or unless the voters change their mind."
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination 1 hour 7 min ago
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer 4:00 AM
- Politics WATCH: Elton John Slams Russia's Anti-LGBT Laws Onstage December 06 2013 8:40 PM
- Women American Horror Story: Coven -- Ritual Witch-ual December 06 2013 8:30 PM
- Travel Wanna Win a Wedding in West Hollywood? December 06 2013 7:26 PM
- Election Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary December 06 2013 6:53 PM
- Women WATCH: Santana Lopez as the Best Bad Santa Ever! December 06 2013 6:33 PM