Gay Couple Wins Right to Marry in Chihuahua
BY Sunnivie Brydum
September 05 2013 12:30 PM ET
A gay couple in Chihuahua, Mexico, who first filed for a marriage license in April can legally wed after the state declined to file a challenge to the petition, a local judge ruled Monday, according to Spanish-language news site El Pueblo.
Tony and Tomás tried to marry April 30 but were denied a license by the Civil Registry of the State of Chihuahua. On August 22, a district judge ruled that the state must provide marriage licenses to same-sex couples, and gave government officials ten days to file a formal objection to the order. The government made no such move, so Tuesday, the state legal adviser confirmed to press outlets that the couple can be married.
The decision was fueled by a ruling from Mexico's Supreme Court last year, which struck down a ban on marriage equality in the southern state of Oaxaca, citing American legal precedent. In 2010 the nation's capital, Mexico City, began serving gay and lesbian couples with marriage licenses. Later that year the nation's Supreme Court ruled that such marriages must be recognized in every other jurisdiction.
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Hot Sheet: A New Quiver
- Vox Editor in Chief Defends Hiring of 'Homophobic' Gay Writer
- Boston: Major Beer Sponsor Pulls Out of St. Pat's Parade
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: A New Quiver March 14 2014 7:30 PM
- Travel State Department: Russia is Dangerous for All Americans March 14 2014 6:55 PM
- Women The 31 Most Eligible Out Women of 2014 March 14 2014 6:41 PM
- Marriage Equality Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages March 14 2014 6:39 PM
- Film Is Terence Davies' The Long Day Closes the Greatest Gay Film Ever Made? March 14 2014 5:30 PM
- Media Vox Editor in Chief Defends Hiring of 'Homophobic' Gay Writer March 14 2014 4:37 PM
- Health HHS Orders Insurers to Cover All Married Same-Sex Couples March 14 2014 4:14 PM