Wash. Native American Tribe Recognizes Marriage Equality
BY Sunnivie Brydum
September 09 2013 6:15 PM ET
The Colville Tribal Council of the Confederated Tribes of the Colville Nation voted overwhelmingly on Thursday to recognize same-sex marriages, according to The Wenatchee World. The ruling will extend to all of the tribe's more than 9,300 members, about half of whom live on the Colville Reservation in north-central Washington State, according to the World.
Council chairman Michael Finley told the paper that the tribe has long recognized and respected LGBT identities, usually referred to as two-spirit in the tribal vernacular. Last week's vote means two-spirited Colvilles will be treated equally and with respect, Finley said. The tribe had already permitted members in same-sex partnerships to add their spouse to their insurance and other benefits plans.
Although Washington State voters approved marriage equality last November, federally recognized Native American tribes are self-governed and aren't subject to state laws.
Several Native American tribes around the country have formally recognized same-sex marriages in recent years. In 2008 the Coquille Indian Tribe on the southern Oregon coast became the first Native American tribe to recognize marriage equality, and in 2011 the Suquamish Tribe in Suquamish, Wash., also approved marriage equality. In March of this year, the Little Traverse Bay Bands of Odawa Indians in Michigan also began to recognize same-sex marriages, when it oversaw tribe member Tim LaCroix's marriage to his now-husband, Gene Barfield. The Pokagon Band of Potawatomi Indians in Michigan and the Santa Ysabel Tribe of California also recognize same-sex marriages, bringing the total number of U.S. tribes with formal marriage equality to six, according to Equality on Trial.
- Fred Phelps Excommunicated and Near Death?
- LISTEN: Right-Wing Pundits Blast Guinness's Pullout From St. Pat's Parade
- A Brief History of Gays and the St. Patrick's Day Parade
- WATCH: Ark. High School Yearbook Refuses to Profile Out Student
- WATCH: First Gay Hug Parodies First Kiss Viral Video
- LGBT Exclusion Costs St. Paddy's Parades
- Youth School Bans Bullied Kid's My Little Pony Schoolbag 15 min 6 sec ago
- Transgender Wendy Williams Apologizes for Transphobic Panel Discussion 22 min 33 sec ago
- Television RPDR: Music Producer Lucian Piane on Pushing RuPaul & Working with Idol Contestants 28 min 41 sec ago
- Television How I Met Your Dad Adds Second Gay Character 30 min 28 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Wanda to Ellen: Look At the Lesbian Falling Off the Pole 33 min 43 sec ago
- Media LISTEN: Right-Wing Pundits Blast Guinness's Pullout From St. Pat's Parade 41 min 8 sec ago
- Travel WeHo's Most Notorious Nudie Motel Going Mainstream 1 hour 14 min ago