WATCH: 5 Times Bill Signings Were Really Exciting in 2013
BY Tiara Chiaramonte
December 31 2013 4:35 PM ET
Rhode Island established the legal right to marry on May 2, and it was effective August 1.
Delaware established the legal right to marry May 7, and it was effective July 1.
Minnesota established the legal right to marry May 14, and it was effective August 1.
Hawaii established the legal right to marry November 13, and it was effective December 2.
Illinois established the legal right to marry November 20, and it will be effective June 1.
Same-sex marriage also became legal in California, New Jersey, New Mexico, and Utah in 2013, but through court rulings.
- Facebook Apologizes for 'Real Name' Policy
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- The New 'Republicans Are People Too' Twitter Campaign Is An Epic Fail
- California Becomes First State to Ban Gay, Trans 'Panic' Defenses
- Holder's Final Vow to Supreme Court: Uphold Marriage Equality
- Read This Mich. Democrat's Epic Response to Antigay Group's 'Pile of Excrement'