WATCH: 5 Times Bill Signings Were Really Exciting in 2013
BY Tiara Chiaramonte
December 31 2013 4:35 PM ET
Rhode Island established the legal right to marry on May 2, and it was effective August 1.
Delaware established the legal right to marry May 7, and it was effective July 1.
Minnesota established the legal right to marry May 14, and it was effective August 1.
Hawaii established the legal right to marry November 13, and it was effective December 2.
Illinois established the legal right to marry November 20, and it will be effective June 1.
Same-sex marriage also became legal in California, New Jersey, New Mexico, and Utah in 2013, but through court rulings.
- Hillary Clinton's Rainbow Logo Leads Politicians Proclaiming 'Love Can't Wait'
- See Where the Nation Stands On Marriage Equality — In One Graphic
- PHOTOS: The Scene at the Supreme Court As Marriage Equality is Considered
- Op-ed: Hosting Ted Cruz Isn't Just Offensive to LGBT People
- Marriage Equality Only Happened Because Grassroots Refused to Wait
- Meet the People Waiting in Line for History