WATCH: 5 Times Bill Signings Were Really Exciting in 2013
BY Tiara Chiaramonte
December 31 2013 4:35 PM ET
Rhode Island established the legal right to marry on May 2, and it was effective August 1.
Delaware established the legal right to marry May 7, and it was effective July 1.
Minnesota established the legal right to marry May 14, and it was effective August 1.
Hawaii established the legal right to marry November 13, and it was effective December 2.
Illinois established the legal right to marry November 20, and it will be effective June 1.
Same-sex marriage also became legal in California, New Jersey, New Mexico, and Utah in 2013, but through court rulings.
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM
- Religion Archbishop of NY Applauds NFL Hopeful Michael Sam for Coming Out March 08 2014 6:04 PM
- Love and Sex Sexually Explicit Videos No Longer Allowed on Vine March 08 2014 2:06 PM
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return March 08 2014 7:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith March 08 2014 5:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 8:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 8:25 PM