PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People
BY Christopher Harrity
May 23 2013 6:00 AM ET
Sarah Deragon first realized same-sex couples weren't well served by wedding photographers when trying to find one for her own big day.
"I found it extremely frustrating that most wedding photographers said that they 'support' marriage equality, but didn’t have any LGBTQ couples on their websites," says Deragon, who founded Weddings to the People in 2011. "I searched far and wide to find the right wedding photographer who wouldn't find it necessary to ask me which one of us was the bride or why we decided to honor certain traditions and discard others. LGBTQ couples are celebrated at Weddings to the People because love is love and we all deserve the right to marry our beloved."
Does Weddings to the People photograph heterosexual couples? Sure. But it specializes in LGBTQ weddings. The team at Weddings to the People (photographer Deragon and her wife and business partner, Natalie Josef) say they take the time to get to know each couple they work with. By the time the ceremony happens, their aim is for you not to feel as if you are being stalked by a stranger with a camera. And by the results of the images included here, you can see they have succeeded.
More information on Weddings to the People here. (And it doesn't just do weddings!)
Click through for more great wedding photos.
- Christian Woman Records Herself Losing it Over Marriage Equality, Gets Remixed
- Gay Wedding Advice for Gays and Straights
- Op-ed: What Happened When President Obama Met Two Trans Service Members
- Amber Heard: 'I Don't Want to Have to Deny My Sexuality in Order to Be Me'
- Ted Cruz and the Fallout for Fire Island
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers