AP: Same-Sex Couples 'Generally' Not Husbands or Wives
BY Trudy Ring
February 12 2013 8:29 PM ET
The Associated Press, which angered some LGBT people recently with its ban on the word “homophobia,” now is decreeing that in most circumstances, it won’t refer to members of married same-sex couples as husbands or wives.
Media blogger Jim Romenesko today published an internal AP memo saying that “husband” or “wife,” in reference to same-sex couples, “may be used in AP stories with attribution,” adding, “Generally AP uses couples or partners to describe people in civil unions or same-sex marriages.” Quickly, an AP spokesman sent Romenesko a revised memo with somewhat more restrictive guidelines, saying, “Such terms may be used in AP content if those involved have regularly used those terms … or in quotes attributed to them,” and repeating, “Generally AP uses couples or partners to describe people in civil unions or same-sex marriages.”
The report drew criticism from commenters on Romenesko’s blog and elsewhere. At Gawker, Robert Kessler wrote, “This particular style choice makes a jarring ‘separate but equal’ standard for married couples. As we learned with segregation, a separate standard is inherently unequal.”
Most U.S. newspapers follow AP guidelines for style and usage, although it’s also common for them to ignore at least a few of the AP edicts. The Advocate, by the way, has its own stylebook and set of standards.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Entertainment News CA Town Hoists And Promptly Removes Gay Pride Flag 18 min 33 sec ago
- No More Bullying Meet the 2013 Point Scholars: Living Proof It Does Get Better 6:00 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: Dreaming in the White House 5:05 AM
- Commentary Day of Decision Op-ed: When a Marriage Would Split Us Up 4:00 AM
- Entertainment News Seen at TrevorLIVE: Jane Lynch, Billy Porter, Cason Crane, Cindy McCain June 18 2013 9:44 PM
- Women Where the Girls Are in West Hollywood June 18 2013 8:09 PM
- The Wedding Channel EXCLUSIVE: Kim Stolz & Lexi Ritsch Wedding Photos June 18 2013 7:46 PM