WATCH: Bill O'Reilly Ambushes Gay Lawmaker With Child Molestation Questions
BY Lucas Grindley
March 06 2013 7:00 AM ET
Fox's Bill O'Reilly is using his top-rated cable news show to make the case that Colorado's first openly gay speaker of the House sympathizes with child molesters.
O'Reilly is proud of wanting to get something called "Jessica's Law" passed in every state, and he's attacking Speaker Mark Ferrandino personally to do it. The law dictates penalties for child molesters. Ferrandino says it's unnecessary in Colorado because district attorneys tell him they already have tougher laws there.
As he often does, O'Reilly sent reporter Jesse Watters to ambush a subject with questions. Watters' are not exactly fair-and-balanced questions: "You’re not protecting the kids from sexual predators in passing Jessica’s law. Why is that?" he asks, before rattling off a series of horrific cases of abuse that it's implied Ferrandino must not think warrant much punishment.
The really odd part comes after the interview, though, when O'Reilly calls upon the analysis of Mike Brown (as in, Hurricane Katrina and "heckuva job Brownie" fame). O'Reilly points out that Ferrandino is "a big gay marriage guy." And he repeatedly asks Brown, "What do you think is really going on here?"
Brown warns that Colorado is being taken over by "a progressive mentality that says evil does not exist." The thinking has "infected the entire power structure," Brown claims.
ThinkProgress was among the first to highlight the clip and argues it preys on viewers' homophobia. "It’s hard to justify anything about this 'campaign' of O’Reilly’s as journalism," writes Zack Ford at ThinkProgress. "It seems increasingly apparent that he is simply manipulating the fact that Ferrandino is gay to prey on viewers’ fears that the Speaker is thus somehow more likely to be endangering children."
Watch the video below.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd
- Television Looking GIF-cap: Season 1 Finale 39 min 28 sec ago
- Books Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel 42 min 33 sec ago
- Business P.R. Agency Adds LGBT Practice 1 hour 9 min ago
- Travel A Tour Through the San Francisco of Looking, Season One 1 hour 11 min ago
- Women Houston Lesbian Couple Found Murdered, Cops Searching for Suspect 1 hour 14 min ago
- Women WATCH: 10 Worst Ways to Pick Up a Lesbian 1 hour 17 min ago
- Parenting Ubbas: The Golden Shower Toy 2 hours 13 min ago