WATCH: Bill O'Reilly Ambushes Gay Lawmaker With Child Molestation Questions
BY Lucas Grindley
March 06 2013 6:00 AM ET
Fox's Bill O'Reilly is using his top-rated cable news show to make the case that Colorado's first openly gay speaker of the House sympathizes with child molesters.
O'Reilly is proud of wanting to get something called "Jessica's Law" passed in every state, and he's attacking Speaker Mark Ferrandino personally to do it. The law dictates penalties for child molesters. Ferrandino says it's unnecessary in Colorado because district attorneys tell him they already have tougher laws there.
As he often does, O'Reilly sent reporter Jesse Watters to ambush a subject with questions. Watters' are not exactly fair-and-balanced questions: "You’re not protecting the kids from sexual predators in passing Jessica’s law. Why is that?" he asks, before rattling off a series of horrific cases of abuse that it's implied Ferrandino must not think warrant much punishment.
The really odd part comes after the interview, though, when O'Reilly calls upon the analysis of Mike Brown (as in, Hurricane Katrina and "heckuva job Brownie" fame). O'Reilly points out that Ferrandino is "a big gay marriage guy." And he repeatedly asks Brown, "What do you think is really going on here?"
Brown warns that Colorado is being taken over by "a progressive mentality that says evil does not exist." The thinking has "infected the entire power structure," Brown claims.
ThinkProgress was among the first to highlight the clip and argues it preys on viewers' homophobia. "It’s hard to justify anything about this 'campaign' of O’Reilly’s as journalism," writes Zack Ford at ThinkProgress. "It seems increasingly apparent that he is simply manipulating the fact that Ferrandino is gay to prey on viewers’ fears that the Speaker is thus somehow more likely to be endangering children."
Watch the video below.
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Colo. School Board Member Denies Existence of Gay, Trans Identities
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 2 hours 9 min ago
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations December 07 2013 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year December 07 2013 8:00 AM