WATCH: Bill O'Reilly Ambushes Gay Lawmaker With Child Molestation Questions
BY Lucas Grindley
March 06 2013 7:00 AM ET
Fox's Bill O'Reilly is using his top-rated cable news show to make the case that Colorado's first openly gay speaker of the House sympathizes with child molesters.
O'Reilly is proud of wanting to get something called "Jessica's Law" passed in every state, and he's attacking Speaker Mark Ferrandino personally to do it. The law dictates penalties for child molesters. Ferrandino says it's unnecessary in Colorado because district attorneys tell him they already have tougher laws there.
As he often does, O'Reilly sent reporter Jesse Watters to ambush a subject with questions. Watters' are not exactly fair-and-balanced questions: "You’re not protecting the kids from sexual predators in passing Jessica’s law. Why is that?" he asks, before rattling off a series of horrific cases of abuse that it's implied Ferrandino must not think warrant much punishment.
The really odd part comes after the interview, though, when O'Reilly calls upon the analysis of Mike Brown (as in, Hurricane Katrina and "heckuva job Brownie" fame). O'Reilly points out that Ferrandino is "a big gay marriage guy." And he repeatedly asks Brown, "What do you think is really going on here?"
Brown warns that Colorado is being taken over by "a progressive mentality that says evil does not exist." The thinking has "infected the entire power structure," Brown claims.
ThinkProgress was among the first to highlight the clip and argues it preys on viewers' homophobia. "It’s hard to justify anything about this 'campaign' of O’Reilly’s as journalism," writes Zack Ford at ThinkProgress. "It seems increasingly apparent that he is simply manipulating the fact that Ferrandino is gay to prey on viewers’ fears that the Speaker is thus somehow more likely to be endangering children."
Watch the video below.
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Giants Pitcher Jeremy Affeldt Shares His Evolution on Homophobia
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- Canada Lifts Lifetime Blood Ban on Gay Men — But There's a Catch
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
- PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women Cannes is Abuzz About Blue is the Warmest Color's Explicit Lesbian Sex Scenes 2 min 15 sec ago
- Sports Giants Pitcher Jeremy Affeldt Shares His Evolution on Homophobia 29 min 29 sec ago
- Youth Disney Exec Named Head of GLSEN Board 1 hour 25 min ago
- Transgender Transgender High School Senior Skips His Graduation 1 hour 25 min ago
- Books Q&A Quickie: Justin Hernandez, from Gay Stripper to Naked Author 1 hour 31 min ago
- Women Todd Haynes To Direct Blanchett/Wasikowska in Patricia Highsmith Lesbian Potboiler 1 hour 45 min ago
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Is 'Scared, Overwhelmed' By Potential Felony Sex Abuse Charges 2 hours 13 min ago