Nixon Calls Gays 'Enemies of Strong Societies' on Unearthed Tape
BY Daniel Reynolds
August 02 2013 2:23 PM ET
Archie Bunker, Socrates, and Roman emperors come under the fire of former president Richard Nixon, who ranted against gay people in a tape recently unearthed by CNN.
In the recording, Nixon recounts how the broadcast of a “damn baseball game” was interrupted by an episode of All In the Family, which he mistook for a movie. The former president went on, incredulous that “two magnificent, handsome men” were “glorifying homosexuality” on public television.
Warning against the harmful influence of the media, Nixon then credited homosexuality with the downfall of the Greek and Roman civilizations.
“You know what happened to the Greeks,” Nixon said. “Homosexuality destroyed them. Aristotle was a homo, we all know that. So was Socrates. But he never had the influence television has.”
“The last six Roman emperors were fags," the former commander-in-chief continued. “You see, homosexuality, immorality in general, these are the enemies of strong societies. That’s why the Communists and the left-wingers are pushing it.”
Listen to the remarks below.
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- Colo. School Board Member Denies Existence of Gay, Trans Identities
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 1 hour 58 min ago
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations December 07 2013 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year December 07 2013 8:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination December 07 2013 7:00 AM