BREAKING: GLAAD Appoints First Transgender Cochair
BY Daniel Reynolds
November 08 2013 3:51 PM ET
GLAAD has appointed its first transgender cochair to helm its National Board of Directors.
The media advocacy organization announced its choice of Jennifer Finney Boylan, a trans advocate and author of the autobiography She's Not There: A Life in Two Genders. The book was the first by a transgender American to become a best seller.
Boylan, who is a professor of English at Colby College and a mother of two, will serve alongside Steve Warren, a prominent entertainment lawyer who was recently honored with the Stephen F. Kolzak Award at the 2013 GLAAD Media Awards.
"GLAAD's commitment to the trans community is real and unwavering," Boylan said in a statement. "As transgender people continue to advocate for basic legal protections and recognition, the work that the staff of GLAAD is leading to proactively share stories of transgender people through the media is a game changer."
Leaders of GLAAD say Boylan, a prominent trans public figure, will help guide the organization in its mission of moving the cultural needle to advance LGBT rights, particularly in regard to transgender issues.
"The transgender community continues to face alarming rates of violence and inequality while transgender people and issues remain relatively invisible in our national dialogue," Dave Montez, GLAAD’s acting president, said in a statement. "Jenny's proven leadership will be instrumental as GLAAD continues to grow mainstream media attention and public understanding around transgender issues."
- Current Issue One Issue Still Bucks The Trend for LGBT Equality 26 min 2 sec ago
- Commentary Op-ed: 'License to Discriminate' Bills Will Keep Coming 1 hour 26 min ago
- Women Ellen's Oscars' Selfie Gets Simpson-ized! March 06 2014 7:56 PM
- Travel General Motors Hopes to Impress You at Mammoth Gay Ski Week March 06 2014 7:24 PM
- Women WATCH: American Idol's Out Contestant MK Nobilette Does 'Drops of Jupiter' March 06 2014 7:18 PM
- Books Gay Propaganda Brings Russian Love Stories to Light March 06 2014 6:06 PM
- Film Jamie Lee Curtis Bringing Life of First Gay Baseball Player to Big Screen March 06 2014 5:48 PM