Department of Defense to Celebrate Pride Month
BY Michelle Garcia
June 14 2012 6:29 PM ET
The Pentagon will organize its first-ever event to celebrate LGBT Pride Month, less than a year after the military ended its ban on openly gay, lesbian, and bisexual service members.
Officials did not give the Associated Press complete details on the event, but said it would be similar to other celebrations honoring racial or ethnic group. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta expressed his interest in recognizing gay and lesbian troops, specifically during Pride Month, which President Barack Obama declared June 1.
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- He Said, She Said: Privilege Check On I Am Cait
- Lesbian Couple Allegedly Beaten After Kissing Outside Six Flags New England
- UFC Women's Champ Refuses to Fight Trans Athlete Fallon Fox
- Texas Gay Man, 32, Dies in Custody After Being Denied Medication
- Straight Talk With Years & Years' Olly Alexander, the U.K.'s New Gay Pop Star