New U.S. Navy Carriers Opt for Gender-Neutral, Urinal-Free Bathrooms
BY Camille Beredjick
July 11 2012 8:01 PM ET
For the first time ever, a new class of U.S. Navy carriers will set off with no urinals on board, reports the Navy Times.
Urinals are omitted from the Gerald R. Ford class of carriers, due to hit the fleet in 2015, as both a cost-saving measure and an attempt to make bathrooms more gender-neutral. Urinal-free ships allow the Navy to easily switch a bathroom's designation between male and female, helping the ship adapt to changing crews. The U.S. Navy has deployed women on ships since 1994, but every carrier built since then has included urinals.
In addition, urinals clog more than toilets and can cost more to maintain, Capt. Chris Meyer, manager of the Future Aircraft Carriers Program for the Naval Sea Systems Command, told CNN. Several sailors speaking on the condition of anonymity told the Navy Times that urinals were hard to clean and easily broken, and they were glad to see them go.
"There's a lot more at play in the design objectives than (making the toilet areas) gender-neutral," Meyer told CNN. "We're saving money in maintenance costs, and we’re improving quality of life."
Other quality-of-life updates to the carrier's design include sleeping quarters — known as berthing areas — directly connected to a toilet and shower, so sailors who wake in the middle of the night won't have to get dressed and cross a passageway to reach the nearest restroom.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Youth Harvey Milk Day Has Group Worried About 'Indoctrinating' Kids 4 min 31 sec ago
- Theater See Which Hunk Won the 2013 Broadway Beauty Pageant 8 min 17 sec ago
- Politicians Harvey Milk Day: First Park in Nation Named for Rights Pioneer 21 min 10 sec ago
- Entertainment News Karl Lagerfeld's Cat Has A Better Life Than You 54 min 53 sec ago
- Health News AIDS Deaths Plummet In Africa 57 min 49 sec ago
- Military PHOTOS: Shirtless, Sweaty Naval Academy Freshman Climb Greased Obelisk 1 hour 8 min ago
- Women WATCH: Amy Schumer and Amber Tamblyn Watch Porn and Make Out 1 hour 20 min ago