Prince Harry Saved Fellow Soldier From Antigay Attack
BY Michelle Garcia
June 09 2013 12:45 PM ET
Gay British Lance Corporal James Wharton said his fellow soldier, Prince Harry, came to his defense when six other soldiers verbally harassed him and threatened to beat him.
Wharton went to Harry, who was his tank commander, to report the 2008 incident, according to the Daily Mail.
Harry confronted the other soldiers and then reported the incident to a senior officer.
"I told him, 'I think I'm going to be murdered by the infantry.'I climbed into the turret and talked Harry through exactly what had happened," Wharton wrote. "He had a complete look of bewilderment on his face. I couldn't stop the tears from welling up in my eyes. He said, 'Right, I'm going to sort this shit out once and for all.' He climbed out of the tank and I poked my head out of the turret a few moments later to see him having a go."
Wharton's new book, Out In The Army, chronicles his life in the military, as well as details of his camaraderie with Prince Harry.
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- Perez Hilton Coming to Reality TV as a Gay Dad
- WATCH: The Best From 6 Olympic Gay Divers
- Politics WATCH: Abortionists, Married Gays Leading 'War on Christmas,' Says O'Reilly 6 min 24 sec ago
- World News Israel's President, Shimon Peres, Backs Same-Sex Marriage 7 min 23 sec ago
- Acceptance Matters WATCH: Davey Wavey Does Acceptance One Better 34 min 12 sec ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court 1 hour 56 min ago
- HIV & AIDS There Are Other Ways to Prevent HIV Besides Condoms 1 hour 58 min ago
- HIV & AIDS The Crisis in Prevention for the Gay Community 2 hours 9 sec ago
- Entertainment News Listen to The Sound Of Music Live Soundtrack with Carrie Underwood 11:29 AM