Florida Swears in First Gay Legislators
BY Michelle Garcia
November 20 2012 7:38 PM ET
Florida representatives Joe Saunders and David Richardson Tuesday became the first openly gay members to be sworn into the Sunshine State's legislature.
Saunders and Richardson took their oath with more than 50 state legislators in Tallahassee. Saunders was accompanied in the legislative chambers by his partner, Donald Rupe.
"Standing there with him was a dream realized and a memory I'll have for the rest of my life," Saunders told the Orlando Sentinel.
- EXCLUSIVE: Watch the Official Trailer for 54: The Director's Cut
- Clemson University Fans Tell Football Coach to Punt Antigay Fundraiser
- PHOTOS: International Mr. Leather Weekend
- Op-ed: Let's Keep the Momentum Going After Win in Ireland
- Why Can't We Talk About Homophobia in the Black Community?
- BREAKING: How About a President Santorum?