Florida Swears in First Gay Legislators
BY Michelle Garcia
November 20 2012 6:38 PM ET
Florida representatives Joe Saunders and David Richardson Tuesday became the first openly gay members to be sworn into the Sunshine State's legislature.
Saunders and Richardson took their oath with more than 50 state legislators in Tallahassee. Saunders was accompanied in the legislative chambers by his partner, Donald Rupe.
"Standing there with him was a dream realized and a memory I'll have for the rest of my life," Saunders told the Orlando Sentinel.
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- Bringing Diversity to the Digital Realm
- Russia's High Court Declares 'Gay Propaganda' Ban Constitutional
- Entertainment News Gay Men's Chorus of Los Angeles Performs Parody of Joe Boxer Christmas Ad 56 min 45 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Sara Gilbert on the Pressure for People Like Maria Bello to Come Out 1 hour 15 min ago
- Women Ms. Fit: A Lesbian-Friendly, Feminist Fitness Mag for All Women 1 hour 45 min ago
- Women Who Was Broadway Producer and Lesbian Cheryl Crawford? 1 hour 51 min ago
- Transgender How the Pacific Justice Institute Plans to Keep Demonizing Trans Kids 2 hours 1 min ago
- World News Russia's High Court: 'Gay Propaganda' Ban Is Constitutional 2 hours 10 min ago
- Entertainment News GBF's Michael J Willett Stripped Down to Cover of Natasha Bedingfield 2 hours 14 min ago