Florida Swears in First Gay Legislators
BY Michelle Garcia
November 20 2012 7:38 PM ET
Florida representatives Joe Saunders and David Richardson Tuesday became the first openly gay members to be sworn into the Sunshine State's legislature.
Saunders and Richardson took their oath with more than 50 state legislators in Tallahassee. Saunders was accompanied in the legislative chambers by his partner, Donald Rupe.
"Standing there with him was a dream realized and a memory I'll have for the rest of my life," Saunders told the Orlando Sentinel.
- Meet the 2013 Point Foundation Scholars
- Sen. Lisa Murkowski Endorses Marriage Equality
- WATCH: Gay Marine Proposes to Boyfriend
- Pastor: Homosexuals Bully Straights
- Republican Wants Right to Fire LGBT Employees Who 'Work in a Tutu'
- WATCH: Trans Woman Attacked in Hollywood Hate Crime Speaks Out, Cops Offer Reward
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women WATCH: The L Word's Kate Moennig in Ray Donovan Series Premiere 1 min 10 sec ago
- Crime WATCH: Trans Woman Attacked in Hollywood Hate Crime Speaks Out 24 min 11 sec ago
- Politics Republican Wants Right to Fire LGBT Employees Who 'Work in a Tutu' 38 min 45 sec ago
- Music WATCH: 'Guess What?' Cazwell's New Video Is Hot! 45 min 46 sec ago
- Entertainment News Watch: Fox News' Most Anti-Trans Comments 46 min 7 sec ago
- Travel PHOTOS: Krave Massive Nightclub Opens in Las Vegas 58 min 54 sec ago
- Style Hairy Hose for Hairless Bros? 1 hour 15 min ago