Florida Swears in First Gay Legislators
BY Michelle Garcia
November 20 2012 7:38 PM ET
Florida representatives Joe Saunders and David Richardson Tuesday became the first openly gay members to be sworn into the Sunshine State's legislature.
Saunders and Richardson took their oath with more than 50 state legislators in Tallahassee. Saunders was accompanied in the legislative chambers by his partner, Donald Rupe.
"Standing there with him was a dream realized and a memory I'll have for the rest of my life," Saunders told the Orlando Sentinel.
- Bruce Jenner's Republican Revelation Draws Anger, Praise
- 14 Camp Classics We Can't Stop Quoting — Bad Girls Edition
- The Backlash
- Another Event Moves; Gay Hotel Owners Apologize for Ted Cruz Dinner Party
- WATCH: Preview of Tomorrow's Supreme Court Argument
- More Events Cancel Over Gay Hotel Owner's Ted Cruz Dinner Party