Florida Swears in First Gay Legislators
BY Michelle Garcia
November 20 2012 7:38 PM ET
Florida representatives Joe Saunders and David Richardson Tuesday became the first openly gay members to be sworn into the Sunshine State's legislature.
Saunders and Richardson took their oath with more than 50 state legislators in Tallahassee. Saunders was accompanied in the legislative chambers by his partner, Donald Rupe.
"Standing there with him was a dream realized and a memory I'll have for the rest of my life," Saunders told the Orlando Sentinel.
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- The South's Longer Wait for Equality
- Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship
- The Small Southwestern Town That Went Rogue
- WATCH: Catholic School Tells Trans Teen 'Wear Girl's Gown or Don't Walk at Graduation'
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Marriage Equality Pro-Marriage Equality Ill. Republican Won't Seek State Party Chairmanship 22 min 18 sec ago
- Women Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship 28 min 22 sec ago
- Theater What Does Jane Lynch Have in Common with Miss Hannigan, Her Role in Broadway's Annie? 34 min 56 sec ago
- Women Chely Wright and Lauren Blitzer Welcome Twins 38 min 56 sec ago
- Health News Calcium Bad, Cinnamon Good, PreP Fails: Baffling Health News 1 hour 7 min ago
- Comics and Graphic Novels Coming Out HIV-Positive in the Comic Book Store 1 hour 10 min ago
- Transgender WATCH: Catholic School Won't Let Trans Grad Wear Men's Garb 1 hour 35 min ago