Florida Swears in First Gay Legislators
BY Michelle Garcia
November 20 2012 6:38 PM ET
Florida representatives Joe Saunders and David Richardson Tuesday became the first openly gay members to be sworn into the Sunshine State's legislature.
Saunders and Richardson took their oath with more than 50 state legislators in Tallahassee. Saunders was accompanied in the legislative chambers by his partner, Donald Rupe.
"Standing there with him was a dream realized and a memory I'll have for the rest of my life," Saunders told the Orlando Sentinel.
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- WATCH: The Best From 6 Olympic Gay Divers
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court 1 hour 5 min ago
- HIV & AIDS There Are Other Ways to Prevent HIV Besides Condoms 1 hour 7 min ago
- HIV & AIDS The Crisis in Prevention for the Gay Community 1 hour 9 min ago
- Entertainment News Listen to The Sound Of Music Live Soundtrack with Carrie Underwood 2 hours 10 min ago
- Travel Berlin's Best Neighborhoods: A Primer 2 hours 15 min ago
- Entertainment News James Franco Teases 50 Shades of Batman & Robin 10:38 AM
- Entertainment News Tom Daley: 'It Really Was Love at First Sight' 10:32 AM