Utah Sen. Orrin Hatch Comes Out for Civil Unions
BY Neal Broverman
April 08 2013 2:09 PM ET
Orrin Hatch, a Republican stalwart in the Senate since 1977, announced he supports civil unions for same-sex couples.
"I'll say this, I do believe this could be solved greatly by a civil union law that would give gay people the same rights as married people," Hatch said in a radio interview last week. "I think we can solve this problem without undermining the very basis of marital law in our country."
White Hatch said he didn't believe people make a choice to be gay, and doesn't support a constitutional amendment banning marriage equality, he said same-sex marriage would open up demands by others for "crazy marital scheme[s]."
- WATCH: Ireland's New Marriage Equality Ad Will Give You Goosebumps
- Pa. Students Allegedly Throw 'Anti-Gay Day,' Write 'Lynch List'
- World Goes Bonkers On Antigay Michigan Repairman
- Bryan Cranston: 'End This Silliness' of Opposing Marriage Equality
- Scott Eastwood: 'I Support Gay Marriage'
- Michigan Trans Teen Skater's Suicide Rocks Roller Derby Community