Utah Sen. Orrin Hatch Comes Out for Civil Unions
BY Neal Broverman
April 08 2013 2:09 PM ET
Orrin Hatch, a Republican stalwart in the Senate since 1977, announced he supports civil unions for same-sex couples.
"I'll say this, I do believe this could be solved greatly by a civil union law that would give gay people the same rights as married people," Hatch said in a radio interview last week. "I think we can solve this problem without undermining the very basis of marital law in our country."
White Hatch said he didn't believe people make a choice to be gay, and doesn't support a constitutional amendment banning marriage equality, he said same-sex marriage would open up demands by others for "crazy marital scheme[s]."
- WATCH: This Indiana Pizzeria Won't Cater Gay Weddings
- WATCH: Conan's Hilarious Interview With Indiana's 'Religious Freedom Czar'
- WATCH: Seth Meyers Takes Down Indiana's New Antigay Legislation
- Ellen's 11 Most Uproarious, April Fool's-Approved Pranks
- Op-ed: 'Religious Discrimination' Laws Have Nothing to Do With Religion
- The Best Drag Take on Madonna Is By a Woman