Utah Sen. Orrin Hatch Comes Out for Civil Unions
BY Neal Broverman
April 08 2013 1:09 PM ET
Orrin Hatch, a Republican stalwart in the Senate since 1977, announced he supports civil unions for same-sex couples.
"I'll say this, I do believe this could be solved greatly by a civil union law that would give gay people the same rights as married people," Hatch said in a radio interview last week. "I think we can solve this problem without undermining the very basis of marital law in our country."
White Hatch said he didn't believe people make a choice to be gay, and doesn't support a constitutional amendment banning marriage equality, he said same-sex marriage would open up demands by others for "crazy marital scheme[s]."
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero?
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics 33 min 6 sec ago
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? 40 min 40 sec ago
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President 1 hour 21 min ago
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics 2 hours 18 min ago
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes 2 hours 32 min ago
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn 2 hours 50 min ago
- Women Pussy Riot To Be Freed 5:25 PM