Utah Sen. Orrin Hatch Comes Out for Civil Unions
BY Neal Broverman
April 08 2013 1:09 PM ET
Orrin Hatch, a Republican stalwart in the Senate since 1977, announced he supports civil unions for same-sex couples.
"I'll say this, I do believe this could be solved greatly by a civil union law that would give gay people the same rights as married people," Hatch said in a radio interview last week. "I think we can solve this problem without undermining the very basis of marital law in our country."
White Hatch said he didn't believe people make a choice to be gay, and doesn't support a constitutional amendment banning marriage equality, he said same-sex marriage would open up demands by others for "crazy marital scheme[s]."
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- 11 Great New Tech Gifts
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations December 07 2013 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year December 07 2013 8:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination December 07 2013 7:00 AM
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer December 07 2013 4:00 AM