Utah Sen. Orrin Hatch Comes Out for Civil Unions
BY Neal Broverman
April 08 2013 2:09 PM ET
Orrin Hatch, a Republican stalwart in the Senate since 1977, announced he supports civil unions for same-sex couples.
"I'll say this, I do believe this could be solved greatly by a civil union law that would give gay people the same rights as married people," Hatch said in a radio interview last week. "I think we can solve this problem without undermining the very basis of marital law in our country."
White Hatch said he didn't believe people make a choice to be gay, and doesn't support a constitutional amendment banning marriage equality, he said same-sex marriage would open up demands by others for "crazy marital scheme[s]."
- Why Can't We Talk About Homophobia in the Black Community?
- Vatican Official Calls Irish Marriage Vote 'Defeat for Humanity'
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- EXCLUSIVE: Watch the Official Trailer for 54: The Director's Cut
- WATCH: Out Musician Mika Shares Video for 'Good Guys,' a Bittersweet Homage to Gay Men
- Op-ed: Let's Keep the Momentum Going After Win in Ireland