Utah Sen. Orrin Hatch Comes Out for Civil Unions
BY Neal Broverman
April 08 2013 2:09 PM ET
Orrin Hatch, a Republican stalwart in the Senate since 1977, announced he supports civil unions for same-sex couples.
"I'll say this, I do believe this could be solved greatly by a civil union law that would give gay people the same rights as married people," Hatch said in a radio interview last week. "I think we can solve this problem without undermining the very basis of marital law in our country."
White Hatch said he didn't believe people make a choice to be gay, and doesn't support a constitutional amendment banning marriage equality, he said same-sex marriage would open up demands by others for "crazy marital scheme[s]."
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Op-ed: Gay Voice Is Ruining Lives
- The 50 Most Influential LGBT People in Media
- Has Gaga Lost the Gays?
- Jon Stewart Remembers When The NFL's Biggest Distraction Was a Gay Player
- Philly: Catholic High School Fires Basketball Coach for Connection to Antigay Beating